Top 5 Best Dental Guards For Grinding Teeth | Prevent Tooth Damage!
If you have an issue with grinding your teeth while you sleep, you’re going to want a dental night guard. I have this issue myself and have had to get a ton of dental work done because I never used to wear a night guard. Now I realize how important it is to have one if you want to keep your teeth healthy! We tested 10 different brands of dental guards and listed our top 5 best picks!
Keeping your teeth healthy is extremely important no matter what stage of bruxism (teeth grinding) you have. With a good quality dental night guard, you’ll be able to prevent cracks, chips, and fractures in your teeth for the long-term. I know it sounds scary but it can and does happen.
Table of Contents
Topics Covered In This Product Review
- What Is A Dental Guard?
- How Long Does A Dental Guard Last?
- Can’t I Just Get A Dental Guard At My Dentist?
- Top 5 Best Dental Guards For Grinding Teeth
- Wrap Up
Affiliate Disclaimer – If you purchase a dental guard with any of our affiliate links, we will donate a good portion of it at no expense to you. With our product review revenues, we donate a good chunk to help our United States Veterans on a monthly basis. Your support greatly helps and we genuinely appreciate it. We try our best to make our reviews unbiased and backed by our findings by using and testing each product that we review in our testing facility.
1. What Is A Dental Guard?
In simple terms, dental guards are protection pieces that go into your mouth to prevent teeth grinding. Everyone from sports players to regular people like you and I use them. Most people use dental guards to prevent grinding their teeth while they sleep.
Grinding your teeth when you sleep or (Bruxism) can cause all kinds of issues that can lead to chipped teeth, tooth loss, and prevent your teeth from becoming “flat” from grinding them on a regular basis.
Dental guards come in many shapes, sizes, and made from different kinds of materials as well. Some are softer than others and some are harder than others. The way to choose a mouthguard is t take notice of how often or how badly you grind your teeth.
For people who grind their teeth badly, you’d want a hard mouthguard so that you don’t end up biting through the mouth guard plate. For people who wear their mouthguard casually as a precaution and don’t grind very often, they can get away with a softer mouth guard.
As far as types of mouth guards, there are quite a few different types and I’ll list them below.
Stock Mouth Guard Protectors
These types of mouthguards are typically what you would see in the sporting goods aisle at your local department store. Most athletes will wear these and they are extremely uncomfortable and are not recommended by dentists whatsoever. They’re inexpensive, but they are horrible when it comes to fitting your teeth or adjusting to get a comfortable fit.
Boil & Bite Mouth Guards
Boil & Bite mouthguards also can be bought at many sporting goods stores and may offer a better fit than stock mouth protectors. The “boil and bite” mouthguard is made from thermoplastic material. It is placed in hot water to soften, then placed in the mouth and shaped around the teeth using finger and tongue pressure.
Custom Fitted Mouth Guards (from the dentist)
These types of mouthguards are individually designed and made in a dental office or a professional laboratory based on your dentist’s instructions. First, your dentist will make an impression of your teeth and a mouth guard is then molded over the model using a special material.
Due to the use of the special material and because of the extra time and work involved, this custom-made mouthguard is more expensive than the other types, but it provides the most comfort and protection.
2. How Long Does A Dental Guard Last?
This question is difficult but I’ll try my best at answering this. Everyone is different considering each person grinds their teeth more frequently than others. Not only that, but the material that the mouth guard is made out of matters as well. Some brands last longer than others. In addition, some brands “say” that their mouth guards only last a certain amount of time but in reality, they last much longer.
Note: The mouth guards that we picked for our top 5 list all last for up to 30 days. Keep in mind though, these mouth guards can last much longer than what they say on the box.
For example, the Plackers mouth guards (#2 on our list) it says right on the box that there are 10 mouth guards that last up to 30 days. Meaning each mouth guard can last up to 3 days each. During our testing, we found that number to be much too low. Those specific mouth guards actually lasted 5-7 days each. In reality, you can really get up to 50-70 days out of those mouth guards instead of just 30.
A good rule of thumb would be to look on the box and multiply the number they have by 1.5 and that’s how long you should be able to comfortably use that mouth guard before having to get a new one.
3. Can’t I Just Get A Dental Guard At My Dentist?
In simple terms, yes you can go to the dentist and get fitted for a custom mouthguard. The problem with the ones at the dentist is that they are way too expensive for what they are. In addition, you have to take time out of your schedule just to make an appointment to go get one fitted for your mouth. It’s best just to buy one and do it in your own spare time.
4. Top 5 Best Dental Guards For Grinding Teeth
If you’re just looking for a decent mouth guard to protect your teeth from grinding while you sleep, these five mouth guards will easily do the job. These mouth guards will fit any sized mouth and they all fit very comfortably as well. In addition, they are all made from durable material so if you grind a lot, you won’t have to worry about biting through it on your first night wearing it.
1. SleepRight Dura-Comfort Dental Guard
We’re starting off with the dura comfort by SleepRight because it was honestly an all-time favorite. By far the most comfortable dental guard. In addition, it didn’t require any boiling at all. You just put it in your mouth and use it out of the box! The best part, it’s pretty soft so when you grind your teeth while sleeping, you don’t have to worry about biting too hard and hurting your teeth.
SleepRight’s most durable dental guard, the Dura-Comfort protects teeth from clenching and grinding, without the hassle of boiling water or microwaving to fit. The Dura-Comfort bite pads are more durable for severe teeth grinders and clenchers.
Stability wings are more flexible, which offers less interference with the upper-side gum tissue and offers a more secure fit. The frontal band is anatomically designed to provide a more comfortable fit against the bottom-front gum tissue and conforms to the mouth using body temperature.
View On Amazon
- Prevents Damaged to Teeth Caused by Grinding and Clenching
- STRONGER THAN COMPETITION. A mouth guard to stop teeth grinding has to be strong. These SleepRight Select dental guards have a bite pad tensile strength designed to last longer than a leading competitor and flex slightly to match the individual bite angle. These SleepRight Select dental guards have a 9,100 psi bite pad tensile strength and fully articulate to match the bite angle.
- FOUR POSITIONS. SleepRight Dura-Comfort Dental Guards’ bite pads are designed to adjust forward and backward into four positions for a custom fit.
Plackers Grind No More
2. Plackers Grind No More Dental Guard
These dental night guards are, they come with 10 disposable night guards. One box lasts up to 1 month or 30 uses which is super nice! In addition, they’re easy to use. Same with the SleepRight dental guards above, you don’t have to boil these ones. Simply take them out of the box, wash them off under hot water and use them!
Plackers Grind No More Night Guards are individually packaged and ready to go. If you clench or grind your teeth while you sleep, these guards will work wonders for you. They’re reusable, too – you can wear one for up to 3 days before you must toss it out. They provide exceptional comfort, protection, and hygiene for people who grind or clench.
View On Amazon
- 10 Count of Plackers Grind No More Dental Guard: an ideal disposable and ready-to-use night guard.
- Comfortable and streamlined one-size-fits-all design made for upper or lower teeth.
- Protection for both “clenchers” and “grinders” alike.
- Hygienic, BPA-free and disposable guards can be used for up to 3 nights.
- Individually packaged and ready to use, our guards are an instant fit every time.
- No boiling, cutting, or molding required.
- Bite plate alignment grooves, absorbing bite plates, and stabilizing bite plate lips offer maximum protection.
Sign up to get notified when we publish new product reviews!
Don't worry, we won't spam you - we only send 1-2 emails per week.
3. DenTek Comfort-Fit Dental Guard Kit
If you’re looking for a minimal night guard that isn’t too bulky, this is the night guard you’re going to want. It’s small, effective, and by far the easiest to sleep with due to it’s minimal structure.
Are you a nighttime teeth grinder? Does your wife, husband, or significant other complain about the annoying sound keeping them up? The DenTek Comfort-Fit Dental Guard is here to solve your problem (and theirs). DenTek’s Comfort-Fit Dental Guard is easy to wear and cushions your teeth without feeling bulky.
The DenTek Comfort-Fit Dental Guard is designed to be worn to protect your teeth from nighttime teeth grinding (bruxism) and to silence the grinding sounds that go with it. Providing durable protection to your teeth, the DenTek Comfort-Fit Dental Guard comes with a bonus 2 dental guards for the price of 1!
View On Amazon
- Easy-to-wear dental guard that cushions your teeth without feeling bulky.
- BPA-free, latex-free, silicone-free and does not need to be boiled.
- Reduces damage caused by teeth grinding.
- Prevents teeth grinding noise so you and your partner can sleep.
- Protect against nighttime teeth grinding. (bruxism)
DentalCare Labs (MOST POPULAR)
4. DentalCare Labs Teeth Grinding Night Guard
Now if you’re looking for a super durable night guard that can be used for weeks at a time, these are the ones you’ll want to get. I would honestly suggest these night guards for anyone who grinds their teeth severely. They are thick, durable, and last a long time. They come in a pack of 4 as well.
View On Amazon
- DentalCare Labs Anti Teeth Grinding Nightguard is the best on the market.
- Made Of FDA approved High-Quality Materials, Which is BPA & Latex Free.
- Can Be Used As An Teeth Whitening Tray.
- Moldable To All Different Mouth Shapes & Teeth Sizes – Fits Upper And Lower Teeth.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed or 100% refund – Free Hygiene Case Is Included.
5. Dental Duty Professional Night Guard
Do you grind your teeth? If you are not prepared to spend hundreds of dollars on a professional mouth guard from your dentist, Dental Duty mouth guards might just be the solution you’ve been searching for. The unique guards mold to the shape of your mouth, allowing them to form a snug fit on both upper and lower teeth.
To shape the product, simply place it in boiling hot water until it softens, let it cool slightly, and then press it against your teeth until you get a tight-fitting guard that will stay firmly in place all night long. The night guards offer a slim design that provides better ease of speech than many competitors, and the material is BPA-free for your safety.
View On Amazon
- ENJOY QUIET & PEACEFUL REST AT NIGHT – Our professional dental guards are the ideal solution for nighttime teeth-grinding, clenching, allowing you to sleep continuously through the night.
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN: Our nightguard is the only one on the market that provides users with 4 mouth guards; 2 different sizes of supreme quality, FDA approved, designed and also BPA FREE
- FITS ANY MOUTH SIZE – Not sure if these mouthguards will fit you properly? These mouthpieces may be trimmed and adjusted to provide a snug and comfortable fit for your upper and lower teeth.
5. Wrap Up
If you have bruxism or you just have a slight tooth grinding problem, you’re going to want to eventually get yourself a decent mouth guard on a regular basis. They greatly help to protect your teeth in the long run and remember this: we only have 1 smile and 1 set of real teeth, protect them for as long as you can!
If you have any questions about any of these products, feel free to leave a comment below. However, if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment and would rather ask us directly, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page to get in touch with us and we will respond to your email shortly.
If you liked our review, do us a favor and share it with your friends! In addition, if you would like to be notified when we publish new product reviews, sign up to our mailing list. Don’t worry though, we don’t spam people. We only send 1-2 emails every 2 weeks. You can sign up for our mailing list here.