Last updated on January 14th, 2020
Do you have any pets? Maybe a few dogs or a few cats that like to shed their hair on a regular basis? We get it, most of us have pets and we’re all in the same situation. Pet hair gets all over the place and when you sit on the couch, the hair gets all over our clothes, etc. Well, you’re in luck, because these are the types of hairy messes that are perfect for a handheld vacuum and today we’re going to show you the Top 5 Best Handheld Vacuums For Pet Hair.
We’re partnered with a local appliance shop in the town where our testing facility is located and we got the opportunity to test and review some of the best handheld vacuums for pet hair that on the market.
We reviewed these vacuums based on many different factors as well. Some of these factors include weight, suction, consumer reviews, overall cost, ease of use, and features or components.
In addition, we will also be teaching you all about handheld vacuums for pet hair before we get to our top 5 picks. We’ve also reviewed the best upright vacuums, carpet cleaners, and wet-dry vacuums in the past as well. Feel free to check out those reviews if you’re in the market for a different type of vacuum cleaner.
What Is A Handheld Vacuum?
Handheld vacuum cleaners are small vacuums that are very efficient for cleaning smaller spills. Some handheld vacuum cleaners are battery operated and some plug into the wall. The battery-operated vacuums are the most efficient because you obviously don’t have to worry about dealing with a cord.
However, during our testing, we found that the handheld vacuums that plugged into the wall were actually much more powerful in terms of suction. We think it’s because of the direct power output from the wall. Whereas a battery-operated vacuum is draining its battery while you’re operating it.
In the past, handheld vacuums were very small and didn’t have a very large canister. In addition, handheld vacuums never used to come with the kind of technology that we have now either.
The suction created by these vacuums is perfect for pet hair because they allow you to put direct suction onto the messy area, whether it’s on your couch or your bed. Whereas if you’re trying to clean pet hair with a traditional upright vacuum, you’re going to have to deal with the hose, extra weight, a cord, and you don’t want to deal with all that extra stuff.
Are Handheld Vacuums Worth The Money?
When it comes to time and convenience, we would have to say that “yes”, these handheld vacuum cleaners for pet hair are definitely worth the money. If you’re trying to clean pet hair with a typical upright vacuum cleaner, you’re just wasting your time.
Yeah, the upright vacuum will work just fine, but you will be wasting a lot more time getting it out, plugging it in, using the hose, and wrapping up the cord again.
The extra money spent on a handheld vacuum will provide you with an efficient way to clean the pet hair from all of your furniture. In addition, you can take these handheld vacuum cleaners with you anywhere. If you like to take your dogs for walks and you have them in the car on a regular basis, just take the vacuum with you and clean up the hair when you’re done. It’s as simple as that.
Another great example of why they are worth the money is for cleaning stairs. It is such a pain in the butt having to use an upright vacuum cleaner on a set of stairs! Handheld vacuum cleaners, like the Shark Rocket specifically, it has an electric motor attached to the end of the vacuum which means when you’re cleaning stairs, you will get direct suction power right where you need it.
Can Handheld Vacuums Clean More Than Just Pet Hair?
Handheld vacuum cleaners can be used for a variety of things other than pet hair. When we were testing these vacuum cleaners, we also tested them on other types of messes as well. Some of which include sand and dirt on the tile floor, crushed cheez-its in the carpet, and firewood shavings stuck in the carpet of the back of the SUV.
These vacuums clean a lot more than just pet hair which also makes them more beneficial you to as well. Another thing we noticed is that kids enjoy using them as well. We think it’s because they’re small, lightweight, and have a cool look to them honestly. Handheld vacuums make a great small appliance for your kids to get some extra chores done around the house.
Are Handheld Vacuum Cleaners Heavy?
We understand that some people are older and have a hard time with traditional vacuum cleaners. However, handheld vacuums are pretty lightweight. Most of these handheld vacuums weigh less than 5 pounds so using them is like carrying the equivalent of a 6-pack of soda.
Handheld vacuum cleaners were made so that you could easily carry them around with ease. Most people shouldn’t have any issues when it comes to using these vacuums, or their weight.
Top 5 Handheld Vacuums For Pet Hair
We hope we were able to answer some of the questions that you might have had when you clicked on our article. Now that you know a little more about handheld vacuum cleaners, we’re going to show you which vacuums are the best handheld vacuums for pet hair!
This first vacuum, the Dyson V7 was our absolute favorite and not just because of the brand name either. This vacuum truly lives up to it’s worth. Not only is it extremely powerful and will suck-up any amount of dog hair from a couch, but it’s extremely lightweight and fits in your hand like a glove as well. Overall, this was our all-time favorite out of our top 5. That’s not to say the other four are bad vacuums though, we’re just saying the Dyson was our favorite out of the five.
1. Dyson V7 Pet Hair Vacuum (Our Favorite)
The strongest suction of any other cordless handheld vacuum. Extra tools for tough tasks. Longer run time than the Dyson V6 handheld vacuum. Dyson free 2-year warranty covers parts and labor, plus free shipping there and back. *** Wash filter with cold water at least every month. ***
- Cord-free. Hassle-free. No cord to unravel, plug in, drag around and restrict your reach. You can quickly and easily clean when you need to.
- Tools included: car charger, mini motorized tool, extension hose, combination tool. Suction Power: Maximum 100 Air Watts.
- Powered by Dyson digital motor V7. The most powerful handheld vacuum. Up to 30 minutes of fade-free suction. With fade-free lithium-ion batteries, suction starts strong and stays strong.
- HYGIENIC dirt ejector. Hygienically drive out trapped dust and debris in a single action. There’s no need to touch the dirt.
2. Shark Rocket Pet Hair Vacuum
At less than 4 pounds, the Shark Rocket Hand Vac is ultra-lightweight and convenient for cleaning. It comes with the TruePet Motorized Brush for deep cleaning in the palm of your hand and an easy-to-empty dust cup. With a 15- foot-long power cord and Never Loses Suction technology, you can clean a whole room from start to finish without interruption.
- Flexible hose attachment connects cleaning tools to the Rocket for ultimate control and reaching tight spaces.
- TruePet Motorized Brush picks up pet hair, loose debris, and powerfully deep cleans surfaces.
- 15 ft. power cord gives you the freedom to clean the whole room.
- To empty the vacuum, just remove its dust cup and discard debris – no vacuum bag needed.
3. BISSELL Pet Hair Handheld Vacuum
Remove more embedded dirt and pet hair with a motorized brush tool and 14V lithium-ion battery. The pet hair eraser handheld cordless vacuum features triple-level filtration and a large, easy-to-empty dirt bin to help get rid of pet hair easily. Set of specialized pet tools includes motorized brush tool, upholstery tool, and crevice tool. Perfect for cleaning stairs, upholstery, car seats and more.
- Buy BISSELL, save pets. BISSELL will donate $5 for each Pet Hair Eraser Li-Ion Purchase, upon activation.
- Remove more embedded dirt and pet hair with a motorized brush tool and a lithium-ion battery.
- 14V lithium-ion battery for lithium powered cleaning; Dirt Cup Capacity: 0.7 Litres.
- Large, easy-to-empty dirt bin to help get rid of pet hair easily. Triple-level filtration to help improve cleaning performance.
- The set of specialized pet tools includes a motorized brush tool, upholstery tool, and crevice tool.
4. BLACK+DECKER Pet Hair Handheld Vacuum
The BLACK+DECKER 20V max lithium Flex vac with pet hair brush features lithium technology for strong suction and fade-free power. Packed with strong suction and fade-free power. It also includes a pet hair brush to remove stubborn pet hair. It has a flexible 4-foot hose to reaches dirt high and low and this cordless, portable and ultra-compact vac allows you to tackle your chores without lugging out your full-size vacuum.
A high-performance motor delivers strong suction for messes big and small and the quick charging base keeps Flex vac charged and accessories organized. Cyclonic action spins dirt away from the filter to help maintain performance and a 3 stage filtration system prevents dust and debris from escaping. It also has an easy to empty, washable bowl and filter for thorough cleaning.
- Strong suction & fade-free power. Suction Power:24 AW.
- The pet-hair brush easily removes stubborn pet hair.
- Easy to empty, washable bowl and filter for thorough cleaning.
- 3 stage filtration system prevents dust and debris from escaping.
- Included Components: Charging Base with Accessory Storage, 2-in-1 Nozzle/Flip-Up Brush, Crevice Tool, Pet Hair Brush – BDH200FVPH, Washable Filter – PVF110, Washable Plastic Pre-Filter; Power Source: Cordless.
5. BLACK+DECKER Handheld Vacuum
The BLACK+DECKER DUSTBUSTER Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum, Flexi Blue, is ideal for picking up dirt and debris in your everyday life. This hand vac offers increased bowl capacity (31.8oz) which allows you to collect 50% more dirt before needing to empty. Lithium technology provides strong suction and extended run time. It has a washable bowl and filter which allows for thorough cleaning between jobs.
The translucent, bagless dirt bowl makes it easy to see dirt and easy to empty. This vac also includes a crevice tool that provides access to hard to reach areas and it also has a brush which allows you to dust and vacuum upholstery.
The wide mouth design effortlessly scoops up large debris and the cyclonic action helps to keep the filter clean and suction strong. 1.5 Amp Hours. This vac has a lightweight and portable design which makes for convenient cleaning. A wall mount provides a versatile storage solution.
- Lithium technology provides strong suction and extended run time, 1.5AH.
- Increased bowl capacity, washable bowl, and filter.
- Crevice tool for hard to reach areas and brush for upholstery.
- Wide mouth design for large debris and cyclonic action helps keep the filter clean and suction strong.
- Lightweight and portable design. 10 hrs, Power Rating: 10.8.
- Included Components: Jack Plug Charger, Wall Mount, Push-In Crevice Tool, Push-In Brush; Power Source: Cordless.
For many of us who have pets and have pet hair that on our couches, beds, and floors that never seem to go away, these five handheld vacuums will do the job. I personally kept the Shark Rocket for myself after this review and it has been great for sucking-up all the pet hair from our German Shepard and 2 cats.
One of our other product testers took the Dyson V7 home and he has 2 black labradors and 1 yellow labrador that lives in the house with him. He has also stated his handheld vacuum works great for cleaning up the dog hair in a matter of minutes!