Last updated on January 15th, 2020
Many people in this world are big into lifting weights. But the problem is that many of these people have trouble gaining weight and building actual muscle. This is why we’re going to show you some of the best mass gainers on the market today!
There are a few reasons why this can happen…
You struggle to achieve your caloric daily intake because your daily routine doesn’t help you to take all the necessary meals at the right times…
…or you are the type of person that is referred to as a “Hardgainer”.
Using a Mass Gainer or Weight Gainer can change that and help you achieve your caloric intake, bulk up and build muscle.
Nevertheless, choosing the best mass gainer can be difficult because there are so many on the market these days.
Getting a top mass gainer is important because the quality of the gainer affects how well the Protein powder and Carbohydrates works, and how good the complex is for you.
To make your decision easier, we’ve taken the time to research and analyze the best products available today for the best prices and which will suit your needs perfectly.
What Do Good Weight Gainers Offer?
The gainers in our list are a combination of carbohydrates and protein that provides extra calories designed to help you meet your macros which is why it maximizes your growth potential.
Routine gainer consumption throughout the day improves recovery charges due to the amino acids and glutamine.
Also, drinking a mass gainer shake directly after your workout can significantly improve your recovery rate, along with supporting muscle build.
A 20-30g Protein and Carbohydrate post-workout shake will act immediately to rehydrate your body, restore glycogen levels, provide the nutrients needed for muscle repair and restore the energy due to the carbohydrates.
Everyone can benefit from a weight gain supplement boost when needed, both male and female.
No matter what product you choose, it should suit your caloric intake needs.
What To Look For In A Mass Gainer
- Quality protein (Whey or Casein).
- Good ratio between protein and carbohydrates.
- Match an appropriate weight gainer to your caloric needs.
- Additional ingredients added to it (creatine, glutamine…)
- Your budget.
With our help, you will find the best mass gainers on the market and which will suit your needs perfectly.
Benefits Of Weight Gainers
Boosts Your Calorie intake
The science behind weight gain demands that you consistently consume about 500 more calories than you can burn in a day. Now, in normal circumstances that would mean eating a lot of food which in some instances is impossible. And so, in such cases, this supplement will be quite effective in helping you achieve this calorie intake effortlessly.
It is quite possible that as you seek to achieve a certain calorie intake you ignore vital macronutrients that are also essential for your muscle gain. Therefore, these weight gain supplements will come in handy in such cases as they will enable you to strike a balance between achieving the right caloric intake and ingesting vitamins and minerals that will make you healthier and stronger.
They are Rich In Dietary Fat
They come packed with dietary fat which is both healthy and vital for your weight gain goals. First, this type of fat will help your body in the generation of long term energy to keep your body operating at its optimal without relying on sugars for energy. It will also stimulate the secretion of bile for efficient digestion that will ensure maximum breakdown and absorption of nutrients.
Packed with Fiber
They are also rich in dietary fiber. Since you will be consuming a generous amount of solid food, this fiber will be vital for limiting constipation by normalizing your bowel movements. Additionally, it will limit the absorption of sugars, therefore, controlling your blood sugar levels. These supplements also help prevent inflammation and high blood pressure.
Helps in Muscle Growth and Recovery
If you happen to work out regularly, then they are just perfect for your muscles. Normally they come packed with proteins that contain amino acids that are essentially the building blocks of muscle. So a regular supply of this protein will ensure that your muscles not only grow but also recover very quickly after intense workouts.
Top 5 Best Mass Gainers For Weight Gain
1. Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer Weight Gainer
Putting on size requires a balance of heavy training and quality nutrition. Because everyone’s a little different, some have a harder time packing on muscle than others. PRO Gainer is a high-protein formula delivering calories that count during recovery.
Each shake provides ample supplemental protein, carbs, vitamins, and minerals to build on the amount you’re getting through a balanced diet of food. Use PRO Gainer as your post-workout recovery shake and/or high-protein meal between meals.
- 659 CALORIES – delivering calories that count to support your gains.
- 60G PROTEIN BLEND – support your mass gaining goals with high-quality protein.
- 85G CARBOHYDRATES – help restore energy levels.
- 7g SUGAR (OR LESS).
- 31 VITAMINS & MINERALS – because the nutrient needs of very active individuals may be greater than those of less active people.
- GREAT POST-WORKOUT OR BETWEEN MEALS.
- MIXES EFFORTLESSLY – use a blender, shaker, or spoon to easily mix.
2. Dymatize Super Mass Gainer
Gaining muscle mass and size can be very challenging, especially when you have a fast metabolism or find it difficult to consume enough calories and protein during the day. Super Mass Gainer is a high-quality mass and size gainer that is loaded with enough protein, BCAAs, calories, and other nutrients to help even the hardest gainers pack on mass and size.
Unlike many other mass gainers out there, Super Mass Gainer also tastes delicious and has amazing mixability!
- Uses the highest quality ingredients & nutrients to gain size & strength quickly.
- 52 grams of protein per serving for building & sustaining muscle.
- 1300 calories per serving for burning & to prevent muscle mass from being used.
- 17 grams of BCAAs as building blocks & to help activate Muscle Protein Synthesis.
3. BSN Tru-Mass Weight Gainer
There’s no better feeling than being the biggest everywhere you go. Let TRUE-MASS help you get there with show-stopping mass gains. TRUE-MASS is an ultra-premium lean mass gainer that supports muscle growth and recovery for athletes with above normal caloric needs.
Used post-workout, between meals and/or before bed, TRUE-MASS can help fuel your recovery from training while providing the nutrients your body needs to keep on building. The results will be hard to miss.
- 700 CALORIES PER SERVING – help add the quality mass to your frame that you’ve been looking for post-workout or even between meals.
- 2:1 RATIO OF CARBS & PROTEIN – provide your body a quality mix of carbs and protein the support your mass gaining goals.
- 46G-50G PROTEIN FROM ULTRA-PREMIUM PROTEIN SOURCES –whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate, micellar casein, hydrolyzed whey protein, and egg whites.
- MCT FATS – round out the nutritional value of each shake and complement the legendary great date from BSN.
- 10G NATURALLY OCCURRING BCAAs PER SERVING – supports your recovery efforts from intense bouts of exercise.
4. MuscleTech Mass Gainer
Mass-Tech is a powerful weight-gain formula developed with key mass building compounds that are shown in research to help increase muscle size, strength, and overall mass.
- 60g Protein
- 820 Calories
- 13g BCAA’s
- 130g Carbs
5. MusclePharm CombatXL Mass Gainer
Combat XL Mass-Gainer Powder features MCTS, flax, and chia seeds, 1,270 calories, 50 grams of protein, and 252 grams of carbohydrates per serving for maximum weight gain. MusclePharm cares about the products you put into your body. That’s why MusclePharm Combat XL Mass-Gainer Powder is banned-substance tested and certified by Informed-Choice.
Combat XL Mass-Gainer is an exceptional, multipurpose workout formula that can be used for post-workout recovery or as a nutrient-dense shake between meals.
- POWERFUL PROTEIN POWDER: MusclePharm Combat XL is a revolutionary weight-gaining supplement, formulated with dense, functional calories, protein, carbohydrates, and essential nutrients.
- SMART WEIGHT-GAIN POWDER: This mass-gainer protein powder features essential fatty acids, complex carbohydrates, and four sources of protein that work together to promote muscle recovery, which allows you to get big and stay big.
- TRANSPARENT INGREDIENTS: Combat XL Mass Gainer Powder features MCTS, flax, and chia seeds, 1270 calories, 50 grams of protein, and 252 grams of carbohydrates per serving for maximum weight gain.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Mass gainers come with different nutrients and supplements that are meant to enrich them. Although this can be beneficial, in some instances it can be a source of allergic reactions. Normally, these reactions manifest through itchiness or stomach upsets. Therefore, good knowledge of what you are allergic to and guidance from your doctor is important before taking them.
Excessive Fat Gain
During bulking it is not uncommon to gain fat along the journey. However, in individuals like endomorphs who are quite sensitive to carbs, this can easily result in an excessive fat gain over a long period. It is therefore important that if you fall in this category you source for those that are low in carbohydrates
Bad For The Liver
Since they are high in proteins, your liver is naturally at risk. Yes, weight gainers can be quite damaging to the liver if they are taken in excessive amounts. But this normally applies in instances where your intake is not well balanced with safety measures like taking in adequate amounts of water.
If you’re having trouble gaining weight, you’re probably not consuming enough calories.
Mass gainer supplements aren’t necessary if you can get enough calories from food, but some people consider them a convenient addition to a busy lifestyle.
Each product contains around 50–70 grams of protein, with varying amounts of carbs and calories.
Carb content ranges from around 85 to 250 grams and calories from 600 to over 1,200 per serving. Higher-calorie products usually contain more carbs.
When choosing a product, you may also want to consider a few other things, including the price per serving, the presence of other ingredients like creatine, available flavors, and independent product testing.