Top 5 Best Plant-Based Protein Powders | A Healthy Protein Solution
Whether you’re interested in losing weight or building muscle, there’s no better time to add a plant-based protein shake to your diet. These days, even your local grocery stores carry plant-based protein powders on their shelves.
They’ll supply everything from hemp to pea protein to various blends of plant-based proteins. In reality, there’s no shortage out there when it comes to plant-based protein powders.
However, when you buying a plant-based protein powder, you might be wondering how much protein you’re actually getting. Most plant-based protein powders have roughly 20 grams of protein in every two-scoop serving. Compared to most whey protein which generally has at least 24 grams of protein per two-scoop servings.
Yes, whey has more protein but it doesn’t have the added nutrients and fibers that you get with plant-based protein powder.
Table of Contents
Topics Covered In This Product Review
- Plant-Based Protein Powder Buying Tips
- Top 5 Best Plant-Based Protein Powders
- Wrap Up
Affiliate Disclaimer – If you purchase protein powder with any of our affiliate links, we will donate a good portion of it at no expense to you. With our product review revenues, we donate a good chunk to help our United States Veterans on a monthly basis. Your support greatly helps and we genuinely appreciate it. We try our best to make our reviews unbiased and backed by our findings by using and testing each product that we review in our testing facility.
1. Plant-Based Protein Powder Buying Tips
When you’re in the store or shopping online, you might be bombarded with tons of options to choose from. However, we’ll help make this process a little easier by telling you what you can look for. The information below is what you can consider when looking for a plant-based protein powder.
Look For Certified USDA Organic & Non-GMO Brands – You want to make sure you’re getting a protein powder that doesn’t have artificial sweeteners or ingredients. Non-GMO brands typically are the best to look for.
Look For Single Sourced Powders – You want to make sure you’re getting a protein powder blend that focuses on one source of protein such as soy, pea protein, or even hemp isolate. It’s not a big deal to get one with it all, but it’s best to balance your diet with a single source.
Look For Amount Per Serving – You’ll get the most bang for your money if you look for protein powders with at least 15 – 21 grams of protein per serving.
Lookout For Fiber Fillers – Some plant-based protein powders have fiber fillers such as guar gum and chicory root. These fillers can upset the stomach after a while and nobody wants an upset stomach. Not saying it’ll happen to everyone, but it CAN happen.
2. Top 5 Best Plant-Based Protein Powders
Shopping for the best plant-based protein powders can be tricky because you want to ensure you’re getting quality ingredients. We have spent many hours with the owner of our local supplement store to find out which powders are the best. Below you will find five of the best and most popular plant-based protein powders on the market!
1. Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
Orgain Organic Creamy Chocolate Fudge Protein Powder is a naturally smooth and delicious nourishment drink with 21 grams of organic protein and 5 grams of organic fiber per serving. Each serving is USDA organic, gluten-free, kosher, vegan, non-GMO, soy-free.
No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. This protein shake powder is great to mix with water or milk post workout or while you’re on the go through your busy day. This is great for the entire family including kids!
View On Amazon
- 21 grams of organic plant-based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 7 grams of organic dietary fiber, 3 grams of net carbs, 0 grams of sugar, 150 calories per serving.
- USDA organic, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, lactose-free, low net carbs, no added sugar, soy-free, kosher, non-GMO, carrageenan-free, and no artificial ingredients.
- Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick breakfast or snack drink. Use when baking to give your cakes, muffins, brownies, or cookies a protein and energy boost.
- Ideal for healthy, on-the-go nutrition for men, women, and kids. These are great for meal replacement, smoothie boosters, building lean muscle, muscle recovery, and pre or post workouts.
2. KOS Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
View On Amazon
- AMAZING CHOCOLATE FLAVOR: Infused with organic Peruvian cacao, organic Himalayan pink salt, organic coconut milk, a dash of organic stevia and organic monk fruit, this vegan chocolate protein blend is simply delicious!
- 5 PROTEIN BLEND: KOS incorporates 100% non-GMO Pea, Flax Seed, Quinoa, Pumpkin Seed and Chia Seed Protein into our proprietary formula, all of which are USDA organic, gluten, soy, and dairy-free.
- DIGESTIVE MOJO: This raw vegan protein powder is composed of healthy fibers and digestive enzymes that help your digestive system run efficiently.
- SUSTAINABLE ENERGY: Plant-based products require fewer resources than animal products to manufacture, leaving behind a smaller environmental footprint during production. Enjoy a vegan protein shake and make a difference!
Sign up to get notified when we publish new product reviews!
Don't worry, we won't spam you - we only send 1-2 emails per week.
Garden Of Life
3. Garden Of Life Plant-Based Protein Powder
Organic Plant-Based Protein offers a blend of certified organic proteins from multiple sources, featuring U.S. grown organic peas, to give it a great smooth and creamy texture. The Organic Muscle Recovery Blend includes Organic Tart Cherries, Organic Apples, Organic Turmeric, Organic Gogi berries, and Organic Blueberries-these antioxidants are known to promote faster recovery.
Because many sports participants compromise their immune systems due to intense training programs, we added a specially-selected, clinically studied probiotic that has been shown to support immune health during intensive workouts.
View On Amazon
- ORGANIC SPORT PROTEIN: Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, NSF Certified for Sport, Informed-Choice for Sport Certified, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy Free, No added sugars.
- POST WORKOUT RECOVERY: Our Garden of Life Vegan Protein helps you refuel & repair muscles after a hard workout with 30g of Complete Protein and over 5g BCAA amino acids, Glutamine & Glutamic Acid.
- RECOVERY DRINK: This sport protein powder promotes faster recovery with an Organic High Antioxidant Blend of Organic Tart Cherries, Organic Apples, Organic Turmeric, Organic Gogi berries, and Organic Blueberries.
- IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT: This BCAAs amino acid powder contains 2 Billion CFU probiotic blend to keep your immune system strong during training.
4. Vega Plant-Based Protein Powder
Looking for more than just protein powder? Deliciously smooth, Vega Protein & Greens helps add effortless nutrition with real, plant-based food ingredients like spinach and kale. Start your day with plants by shaking up one serving of Vega Protein & Greens with 8 oz of ice water, or blend a scoop into your favorite smoothie recipe for a smooth, subtly sweet taste.
Vega Protein & Greens is non-GMO Project Verified, vegan certified, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and without dairy or soy ingredients. Try Vega Protein & Greens in delicious Vanilla, Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Berry, Plain Unsweetened (previously Natural), Coconut Almond, and Tropical flavors.
View On Amazon
- PLANT-BASED PROTEIN POWDER: 20g vegan protein from a multisource blend of pea protein, brown rice protein, and sacha inchi protein
- GREENS: Including ingredients like organic alfalfa powder, spinach powder, broccoli powder, and organic kale powder.
- NO ADDED SUGAR: Vega Protein & Greens is sweetened with stevia, our naturally calorie-free sweetener of choice. We know stevia isn’t for everyone, so we also offer our stevia-free Plain Unsweetened (previously Natural) flavor.
- EASY TO BLEND OR SHAKE: Add an easy 20g plant-based protein to your day – Vega Protein & Greens can help upgrade your morning smoothie or provide a quick afternoon snack when shaken with water or non-dairy milk.
5. Optimum Nutrition Plant Based Protein Powder
GOLD STANDARD 100% Plant Protein was made for active adults who care about what they eat and where their nutrients come from. By combining organic pea, brown rice and sacha inchi proteins, you benefit from a complete profile of essential amino acids to support muscle recovery.
Along with 24 grams of protein, each serving delivers 100% of the Daily Value of vitamin C, provides an excellent source of vitamin B12 and includes a gluten-free complex of ancient grains and pomegranate powder.
Help keep your goals and your diet on track with this USDA Certified Organic Powder. The non-GMO formula that’s free of artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners.
View On Amazon
- Complete Amino Acid Profile to support muscle recovery.
- 24 grams of complete, organic, plant-based protein sourced from a blend of Organic Pea, Organic Rice, and Organic Sacha Inchi proteins.
- USDA Organic & Non-GMO, Vegan, No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners.
- Gluten-free, all-grain complex made with ancient grains Amaranth, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet and Chia.
- Organic Pomegranate Powder.
3. Wrap Up
When you’re buying plant-based protein powder, you want to make sure you’re buying products that are going to benefit you towards your desired outcome.
If you have any other questions about any of these protein powders, feel free to leave us a comment below. Or, if you prefer to leave us a message instead, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email in a timely manner.
If you enjoyed this article, do us a favor and share it with your friends! If you like our product reviews, join our mailing list to get notified when we publish new product reviews! Don’t worry, we don’t spam, we only send 1-2 emails every 2 weeks.