Best Protein Powders In 2019 | Gain Muscle & Lose Fat!
Protein Powders can be helpful if you want to gain muscle and lose fat because they can help you with your nutrition and balancing your diet. Let’s face it, most people who are into fitness are slamming protein shakes on a daily basis. That’s why we wanted to test a bunch of them for ourselves. We tested like 12 different brands and our top 5 are listed below. We wanted to find out which was the best protein powder for muscle recovery.
Ultimately, we also created this list based on other factors as well. Our list is based on popularity, effectiveness, taste, and lastly we wanted to make sure none of them were “gritty” like some of these cheaper ones on the market. The first one on our list, the Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition – this protein powder was actually recommended by almost every fitness buff we talked to.
I’ll be honest, even if you’re not trying to lose fat or gain muscle, these protein powders taste pretty damn good! I’d drink them just to have for treat. Yeah! They’re THAT good. Plus, you can get them in many different flavors as well. Anyway, below you will find the top 5 best protein powders in 2019!
Optimum Nutrition (MOST POPULAR)
1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein
OPTIMUM NUTRITION’S GOLD STANDARD 100% Whey uses pure Whey Protein Isolates as the primary ingredient. Combined with ultra-filtered whey protein concentrate, each serving provides 24 grams of all-whey protein and 5.5 grams of naturally occurring Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) which are prized by athletes for their muscle building qualities. With more than 20 tempting flavors to choose from, ON GOLD STANDARD 100% Whey gives you plenty of ways to keep workout recovery interesting.
- GOLD STANDARD 100% WHEY BLEND – 24g blended protein consisting of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey peptides to support lean muscle mass – they don’t call it the GOLD STANDARD of quality for nothing.
- OVER 5G OF BCAAS – help build lean and strong muscles with naturally occurring BCAAs.
- 3-4G CARBS, 1-3G SUGAR, AND 1-1.5G FAT, GLUTEN FREE, No Sucralose in Double Rich Chocolate Flavor.
- INSTANTIZED – improves mixability to prevent lumps and clumps.
- BANNED SUBSTANCE TESTED – highest quality control measures so you feel comfortable and safe consuming the product.
- 4 SIZES TO CHOOSE FROM – 1, 2, 5, and 10-pound options available.
- OVER 20 DECADENT FLAVORS TO CHOOSE FROM.
- ANY-TIME FORMULA – great before or after exercise, between meals, with a meal, or any time of day where you need extra protein in your nutrition.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 9,022 reviews) = 4.5 out of 5 stars
View On Amazon
Orgain Organic Protein
2. Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
Orgain Organic Creamy Chocolate Fudge Protein Powder is a naturally smooth and delicious nourishment drink with 21 grams of organic protein and 5 grams of organic fiber per serving. Each serving is USDA organic, gluten free, kosher, vegan, non-GMO, soy free. No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. This protein shake powder is great to mix with water or milk post workout or while you’re on the go through your busy day. This is great for the entire family including kids!
- Includes 1 (2.03 lb) Orgain Organic Plant Based Creamy Chocolate Fudge Protein Powder.
- 21 grams of organic plant based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 7 grams of organic dietary fiber, 3 grams of net carbs, 0 grams of sugar, 150 calories per serving.
- USDA organic, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, lactose free, low net carbs, no added sugar, soy free, kosher, non-GMO, carrageenan free, and no artificial ingredients.
- Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick breakfast or snack drink. Use when baking to give your cakes, muffins, brownies, or cookies a protein and energy boost!
- Ideal for healthy, on-the-go nutrition for men, women, and kids. These are great for meal replacement, smoothie boosters, building lean muscle, muscle recovery, and pre or post workouts.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 6,000 reviews) = 4 out of 5 stars
View On Amazon
3. BSN Syntha-6 Edge Protein Powder
SYNTHA-6 EDGE is a synthesis of premium proteins designed to give your muscles the protein they need to support recovery without the excess carbs and fat you may not want. This, protein packed shake delivers a milkshake-like experience that will have you convinced it’s your cheat day. Give your recovery the performance edge. Fuel your muscles and reward your taste buds with SYNTHA-6 EDGE.
- GIVE YOURSELF AN EDGE –give your recovery the performance edge to help you achieve your health and fitness goals.
- CREAMY & RICH TEXTURE – the texture of a real milkshake without the excess carbs and fat you would associate with a powder this delicious.
- 24G PROTEIN-MATRIX – consisting of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, milk protein concentrate to give your muscles the protein they need to support recovery.
- 11G NATURALLY OCCURRING BCAAs and EAAs – helps support muscle recovery following intense bouts of exercise.
- USE ANY TIME OF DAY – post-workout, between meals, as a snack, or as a treat, it doesn’t matter – BSN Syntha-6 Edge was formulated to be your any time of day protein powder.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 593 reviews) = 4 out of 5 stars
View On Amazon
4. Muscletech Phase8 Protein Powder
Phase8 is a premium blended protein formula that feeds your muscles for 8 hours. The main protein component in Phase8 has the unique ability to release amino acids in your bloodstream for 8 hours after taking it! Because of these sustained-release properties, this protein powder is perfect for taking before bed and between meals!
- 8-HOUR SUSTAINED-RELEASE PROTEIN ABSORPTION – The primary protein in PHASE8 has the unique ability to release amino acids in your bloodstream for 8 hours after consumption.
- 7 HIGH-QUALITY PROTEIN SOURCES – PHASE8 contains protein sources designed to digest at different rates, putting your body in the perfect state for repair and recovery.
- BIOLOGICAL VALUE OF PROTEIN SOURCES – PHASE8 contains high-quality milk-derived protein and has half the fat of the leading competitor.
- BEST-IN-CLASS TASTE – PHASE8 was flavored in one of the world’s top flavoring houses by protein flavoring experts in order to taste better than any other protein on the market.
- TAKE ANYTIME – PHASE8 contains a unique blend of proteins that allows you to take it whenever you need it. Multiple different protein sources supply quick-release, medium-release and slow-digesting proteins.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 1,368 reviews) = 4 out of 5 stars
View On Amazon
5. MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey Protein
Combat 100% whey is an ultra-premium blend containing 100% whey protein. It is for athletes looking to maintain lean muscle and replenish nutrients after workouts to fuel muscle recovery and performance that tastes great and mixes easily.
- MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey, Muscle-Building Whey Protein Powder, 25 g of Ultra-Premium, Gluten-Free, Low-Fat Blend of Fast-Digesting Whey Protein, Cookies ‘N’ Cream, 5-Pound, 68 Servings.
- MUSCLE-BUILDING WHEY PROTEIN POWDER: MusclePharm’s Combat 100% Whey is a muscle-building protein powder comprised of high-quality ingredients that help build muscle mass and assist in recovery.
- AMAZING-TASTING WHEY PROTEIN MIX: Our whey protein 10-lb chocolate milk mix is easy to mix with milk, almond milk, water, fruit, and vegetables. It tastes great whether simply mixed into a beverage or blended in a smoothie or shake.
- PACKED WITH PROTEIN: This muscle-building protein powder is packed with 25 grams of protein. It features whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate. It’s also gluten-free.
- BANNED-SUBSTANCE TESTED: Combat Protein Powder has added BCAAs, glutamine, and digestive enzymes and has been certified by Informed-Choice. It has undergone rigorous checks and testing.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 404 reviews) = 4 out of 5 stars
View On Amazon
Tips For Buying Protein Powder
How do you choose which protein powders you want to buy? There are so many choices on the market to choose from, it can be quite a daunting task. Below are some general guidelines that might help you decide which type of protein powder you want to look for.
Your Desired Outcome + Types Of Protein For Each
- Muscle Building – These protein powders are for trying to build muscle, obviously. You’ll typically want to look for whey protein or whey isolates. These will be your best options for building muscle. Our recommendation is Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold Standard.
- Losing Weight – When you’re trying to lose weight, you want to choose protein powders that don’t have any added sugars. In addition, you don’t want any that have any added BCAA’s either since they generally promote muscle growth and you’ll likely gain weight. We recommend Orgain Organic Protein if you’re trying to lose weight.
- Staying Green (Vegans) – There are protein powders for the herbivores too! If you’re a vegan or vegetarian, choose a protein powder that doesn’t contain milk or whey. Look for protein powders that contain 100% plant based proteins. Our recommendation is Orgain Organic Protein.
If you enjoyed this article, please make sure to share it with your friends! Also if you would like to be notified when we publish new product reviews, we invite you to join our mailing list. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you, we only send out 1-2 emails every two weeks. Here is the link to sign up to our mailing list.