Last updated on January 4th, 2020
Love Amazon? Great! We’re going to show you the best Amazon Alexa devices!
Do you need a speaker that talks to you on-demand and plays whatever music you ask it to play? How about an alarm clock that displays the morning news in real-time while you’re still in bed? What about a smart plug that allows you to turn on your TV, your Christmas tree lights, and more? Well, these are all things that can be done with Amazon’s Alexa devices!
Sounds pretty cool huh? Well, they do many more cool things than what we mentioned. These devices are jam-packed with all sorts of different features to entertain your daily life.
Amazon has been building these smart devices for a few years now and has perfected them to their maximum efficiency.
What Is Amazon Alexa?
Amazon Alexa is a virtual assistant that was developed by Amazon and released in late 2014. Alexa was first-ever used in Amazon’s Echo device and the Echo Dot smart speakers. Amazon Alexa devices are capable of voice interaction, music playback, to-do list creation, alarm setting, streaming podcasts, playing audiobooks, providing weather, traffic sports, and other real-time information as well, such as the news.
Alexa also has the ability to control several smart devices using itself as a home automation system. Most devices with Alexa allow users to activate the device with a wake-up word such as “Alexa”.
As of right now, Alexa is currently available in the following languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese. For Canadian users, Alexa is available in both French and English.
Amazon has more than 5,500 employees working on Alexa on a daily basis and it’s related products. In addition, as of January 2019, Amazon announced that they had sold over 100 million Amazon Alexa devices. People love these devices and they are growing in popularity each year.
How Amazon Alexa Can Make Your Life Easier
Have you ever been in the middle of doing something important and had to stop because you had to look something up on your phone? I’m talking about stuff like let’s say you’re cleaning the house and you see a storm rolling in. What do you do? You stop cleaning and you grab your phone to check the weather.
With Amazon Alexa devices, you don’t have to stop and waste your time grabbing your phone. Now you can just ask Alexa what the current weather is and she’ll tell you! No more wasting time looking up small-time stuff on your phone.
In fact, you shouldn’t have to do much with your phone anymore at all unless it’s for calling, texting, or using social media. You can ask Alexa to search for things for you, set your alarms, add items to your grocery lists, or even have her remind you of events on your smartphone calendar for that day.
There is a ton of different benefits to having an Alexa device and we only just touched the very surface. They even have smart plugs that you can plug into the wall and are voice-controlled.
Here’s what we did when we tested the smart plug. We have a coffee maker in our testing facility and we plugged it into the smart plug before quitting work the previous day. We told Alexa from the smart plug to start brewing the coffee at 7:00 am the next morning. Sure enough, we came into the shop the next day and the pot was filled with coffee. We were pretty amazed and thought it was pretty dang cool.
Top 5 Best Amazon Alexa Devices
Below you will find all of the Alexa smart devices that we have tested and reviewed ourselves. You will not be disappointed in everything that Alexa can do for you. Our favorite device was definitely the smart plug, followed by the Echo Smart Speaker. The Echo Speaker is pretty cool because the sound quality was much better than you would think from such a small speaker. Overall, these Amazon Alexa devices are great for just about anybody, both kids and parents.
1. Echo Dot (3rd Gen)
Amazon’s most popular Echo is now even better. With a new speaker and design, Echo Dot is a voice-controlled smart speaker with Alexa, perfect for any room. Just ask for music, news, information, and more. You can also call almost anyone and control compatible smart home devices with your voice.
Manage compatible smart home devices using your voice. Switch on the lamp before getting out of bed, dim the lights from the couch to watch a movie, or turn the thermostat up as you head out.
You can also enable Alexa Guard to get Smart Alerts if your Echo device detects the sound of smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, or glass breaking. Learn more about how Guard can help you keep your home safe when you’re away.
- The Echo Dot has a fabric design and improved speaker for richer and louder sound.
- Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
- Pair with a second Echo Dot (3rd gen) for rich, stereo sound. Fill your home with music with compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
- Call almost anyone hands-free. Instantly drop in on other rooms in your home or make an announcement to every room with a compatible Echo device.
- Connect to your own speakers over Bluetooth or with a 3.5 mm audio cable.
- With 50,000+ skills, Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more.
- Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices.
2. Echo Smart Speaker (3rd Gen)
The Echo Smart Speaker has all the benefits of Alexa, now with noticeably improved sound and a new look. Enjoy premium speakers with equalizer controls, and easily set up multiple compatible devices for stereo sound or multi-room music.
Use your voice to play a song, artist, or genre through Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, and others. With compatible Echo devices in different rooms, you can fill your home with music. Also listen to Audible, podcasts, radio stations, or pair with Fire TV to voice control movies and entertainment.
This speaker is made to help you. Make your life easier at home. Use your voice to set timers, add items to lists, and create calendar events and reminders. You can also check the news, weather, or traffic. Ask for sports scores, movie showtimes, restaurant hours, or information.
- The Echo Smart Speaker (3rd Gen) has new premium speakers powered by Dolby to play 360° audio with crisp vocals and dynamic bass response.
- Personalize your listening experience by adjusting the equalizer settings. Pair with a second Echo Smart Speaker for stereo sound and add more.
- Ask Alexa for a song, artist, or genre from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, and more. With multi-room music, play music on compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices.
- Use your Alexa devices as an intercom and talk to any room in the house with Drop-In and Announcements.
- With tens of thousands of skills and counting, Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more.
- Built with multiple layers of privacy controls, including a microphone off button that electronically disconnects the mics.
3. Smart Plug
Amazon Smart Plug lets you voice control your lights, fans, coffee makers, and more. All you need is an Alexa-enabled device like Echo, Fire TV, Fire tablet, Sonos One, or even just the Alexa app on your phone. And with multiple Amazon Smart Plugs, you can control multiple outlets.
Use the Alexa app to create routines for your Amazon Smart Plug that make life easier. All you have to do is ask. For example, you can create a morning routine that turns on lights and your coffee maker with a single request.
- Amazon Smart Plug works with Alexa to add voice control to any outlet.
- Schedule lights, fans, and appliances to turn on and off automatically, or control them remotely when you’re away.
- Simple to set up and use—plugin, open the Alexa app, and start using your voice.
- Compact design keeps your second outlet free.
- No smart home hub required, set up routines and schedules through the Alexa app.
4. Echo Buds
Everything you love about Alexa, now in truly wireless earbuds. Enjoy premium sound, limit background noise with Bose Active Noise Reduction, and get up to 5 hours of music playback on a single charge. Advanced microphones give you hands-free access to Alexa, no tapping required.
Amazon’s new Echo Buds are great, especially for people who don’t use Apple products and don’t have Apple AirPods. These earbuds are everything you need to talk to friends and family on-the-go or listen to music while you’re jogging. Once again, Amazon delivers another great quality product!
- Premium speaker drivers deliver crisp, dynamic audio. Bose Active Noise Reduction Technology and sealed in-ear design limits background noise.
- Echo Buds work with the Alexa app to stream music, play Audible audiobooks, make calls, or get directions—just ask.
- Supports access to Siri or Google Assistant from a supported device—just press and hold your earbud.
- Get up to 5 hrs music playback per charge, up to 2 hrs with a 15-min quick charge, and up to 20 hrs with the charging case.
- Customizable fit for better sound. 3 sizes of ear tips help form a comfortable in-ear seal for immersive listening.
- Sweat-resistant with a secure fit that’s made to move with you.
- Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new skills. Request rideshare, get a guided workout or order dinner, all hands-free.
- Built with multiple layers of privacy protections and controls, including the ability to mute the mics with the Alexa app.
5. Echo Dot Kids
The Alexa Dot Kids Edition is an experience made for younger ears. Just ask and Alexa will play music, answer questions, read stories, and tell jokes, all with kid-friendly content. In addition to the fun new design and improved speaker, you also get a 2-year worry-free guarantee and a 1-year FreeTime Unlimited subscription.
FreeTime Unlimited connects kids to fun and educational skills from brands like Disney and Nickelodeon, kid-friendly music, podcasts, and more than 1,000 Audible books.
The Alexa Dot Kids Edition has an improved speaker so kids can enjoy their favorite songs even more. And, because Echo Dot Kids Edition was made for younger ears, it automatically filters explicit songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, or Pandora.
- Kids can ask Alexa to play music, hear stories, call approved friends and family, and explore a world of kid-friendly skills.
- Parents can set daily time limits and review activities. Plus, automatically filter explicit songs from select music services.
- Includes a world of content with 1 year of FreeTime Unlimited. After 1 year, your subscription will automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99/month plus applicable tax. You may cancel any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- FreeTime Unlimited gives you access to over 1,000 Audible books, thousands of songs, plus favorite games and skills.
- This device is not a toy, this smart speaker lets kids ask Alexa questions, set timers, and alarms, or check the weather.
- Echo Dot Kids Edition is built with multiple layers of privacy protection and controls, including a microphone off button that electronically disconnects the microphones.
These Amazon Alexa devices are pretty cool, especially the smart plug. With Amazon Alexa, we now have the ability to control our electronics with ease and not have to worry about pressing the wrong buttons or missing the morning news with the smart clock.
Overall, if you’re someone who enjoys a great new gadget, these top 5 Amazon Alexa devices will not disappoint.
If you have any questions about these devices, feel free to leave us a comment below. Or, if you would rather contact us directly, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email in a timely manner.
Have you used an Alexa device in the past? Which one do you like the most?