Top 5 Best Amazon Alexa Devices | Turn Your Home Into A Smart Home
Love Amazon? Great! We’re going to show you the best Amazon Alexa devices!
Do you need a speaker that talks to you on-demand and plays whatever music you ask it to play? How about an alarm clock that displays the morning news in real-time while you’re still in bed? What about a tablet that reads off the lyrics to a song so you can properly sing along as you’re listening? Well, these are all things that can be done with Amazon’s Alexa devices!
Sounds pretty cool huh? Well, they do many more cool things than what I mentioned. These devices are jam-packed with all sorts of different features to entertain your daily life. Amazon has been building these smart devices for a few years now and has perfected them to their maximum efficiency. I personally own one of these cool devices and it has brought many smiles to my face on many occasions.
I came home one day, opened the door and said “Alexa, play ‘Lose It by Kane Brown'” and she had some words to say and then she started playing the song I asked her to play. Yeah, it sounds like you’re being lazy about it but it’s actually really nice once you get used to it.
In this article, we tested and reviewed the Top 5 Best Amazon Alexa Devices so that you don’t have to go and spend hours researching them yourself!
Table of Contents
Topics Covered In This Product Review
- What Is Amazon Alexa?
- How Amazon Alexa Can Make Your Life Easier
- Top 5 Best Amazon Alexa Devices
- Wrap Up
Affiliate Disclaimer – If you purchase an Amazon Alexa device with any of our affiliate links, we will donate a good portion of it at no expense to you. With our product review revenues, we donate a good chunk to help our United States Veterans on a monthly basis. Your support greatly helps and we genuinely appreciate it. We try our best to make our reviews unbiased and backed by our findings by using and testing each product that we review in our testing facility.
1. What Is Amazon Alexa?
Amazon Alexa is a virtual assistant that was developed by Amazon and released in late 2014. Alexa was first-ever used in Amazon’s Echo device and the Echo Dot smart speakers. Amazon Alexa devices are capable of voice interaction, music playback, to-do list creation, alarm setting, streaming podcasts, playing audiobooks, providing weather, traffic sports, and other real-time information as well, such as the news.
Alexa also has the ability to control several smart devices using itself as a home automation system. Most devices with Alexa allow users to activate the device with a wake-up word such as “Alexa”.
As of right now, Alexa is currently available in the following languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese. For Canadian users, Alexa is available in both French and English.
Amazon has more than 5,500 employees working on Alexa on a daily basis and it’s related products. In addition, as of January 2019, Amazon announced that they had sold over 100 million Amazon Alexa devices. People love these devices and they are growing in popularity each year.
2. How Amazon Alexa Can Make Your Life Easier
Have you ever been in the middle of doing something important and had to stop because you had to look something up on your phone? I’m talking about stuff like let’s say you’re cleaning the house and you see a storm rolling in. What do you do? You stop cleaning and you grab your phone to check the weather.
With Amazon Alexa devices, you don’t have to stop and waste your time grabbing your phone. Now you can just ask Alexa what the current weather is and she’ll tell you! No more wasting time with looking up small-time stuff on your phone.
In fact, you shouldn’t have to do much with your phone anymore at all unless it’s for calling, texting, or using social media. You can ask Alexa to search for things for you, set your alarms, add items to your grocery lists, or even have her remind you of events on your smartphone calendar for that day.
There is a ton of different benefits to having an Alexa device and we only just touched the very surface. They even have smart plugs that you can plug into the wall and are voice-controlled.
Here’s what we did when we tested the smart plug. We have a coffee maker in our testing facility and we plugged it into the smart plug before quitting work the previous day. We told Alexa from the smart plug to start brewing the coffee at 7:00 am the next morning. Sure enough, we came into the shop the next day and the pot was filled with coffee. We were pretty amazed and thought it was pretty dang cool.
3. Top 5 Best Amazon Alexa Devices
Below you will find all of the Alexa smart devices that we ended up testing. You will not be disappointed in everything that Alexa can do for you. Our favorite device was definitely the smart plug, followed by the Echo Spot. The Echo Spot is pretty cool because the alarm will wake you up in the morning and immediately show you the weather forecast or the latest news and we thought that was pretty cool.
1. Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen)
Amazon’s most popular Echo is now even better. With a new speaker and design, Echo Dot is a voice-controlled smart speaker with Alexa, perfect for any room. Just ask for music, news, information, and more. You can also call almost anyone and control compatible smart home devices with your voice.
View On Amazon
- Amazon’s most popular smart speaker – Now with fabric design and improved speaker for richer and louder sound.
- Voice control your music – Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
- Bigger, better sound – Pair with a second Echo Dot (3rd gen) for rich, stereo sound. Fill your home with music with compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- Ready to help – Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
- Connect with others – Call almost anyone hands-free. Instantly drop in on other rooms in your home or make an announcement to every room with a compatible Echo device.
- Use another speaker – Connect to your own speakers over Bluetooth or with a 3.5 mm audio cable.
- Alexa has skills – With 50,000+ skills, Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more.
- Voice control your smart home – Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices.
2. Amazon Echo Spot - Smart Alarm Clock
Echo Spot brings you everything you love about Alexa, in a stylish and compact design that can show you things. Just ask to see the weather, get the news with a video flash briefing, set an alarm, see lyrics with Amazon Music, see your calendar, browse and listen to Audible audiobooks, and more.
View On Amazon
- Echo Spot is designed to fit anywhere in your home. Use 2nd generation far-field voice recognition to watch video flash briefings, see music lyrics, weather forecasts, to-do, and shopping lists, browse and listen to Audible audiobooks, and more. All hands-free—just ask.
- Echo Spot connects to Alexa, a cloud-based voice service to play music, read the news, answer questions, set music alarms, control smart home, and more.
- Just ask to play a song, artist, or genre, and see lyrics with Amazon Music. Also, stream music from Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, and other music services, or books from Audible.
- Ask Alexa to turn on your lights, show baby monitors and front door cameras, and lock your doors. Plus, control your thermostats, garage doors, sprinklers, and more.
- Call almost anyone hands-free, or make video calls to family and friends with Skype, the Alexa app, an Echo Spot, or Echo Show. Instantly connect to other Echo devices around your home.
- With tens of thousands of skills, Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new features. Just ask Alexa to control your TV, request an Uber, order a pizza, and more.
Sign up to get notified when we publish new product reviews!
Don't worry, we won't spam you - we only send 1-2 emails per week.
3. Amazon Smart Plug With Alexa
Amazon Smart Plug lets you voice control your lights, fans, coffee makers, and more. All you need is an Alexa-enabled device like Echo, Fire TV, Fire tablet, Sonos One, or even just the Alexa app on your phone. And with multiple Amazon Smart Plugs, you can control multiple outlets.
View On Amazon
- Amazon Smart Plug works with Alexa to add voice control to any outlet.
- Schedule lights, fans, and appliances to turn on and off automatically, or control them remotely when you’re away.
- Simple to set up and use—plugin, open the Alexa app, and start using your voice.
- Compact design keeps your second outlet free.
- No smart home hub required—set up routines and schedules through the Alexa app.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
4. Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K With Alexa
Now you can control your compatible TV, soundbar, and receiver with new power, volume, and mute buttons. Just press and ask Alexa to easily find, launch, and control movies and TV shows.
View On Amazon
- The most powerful 4K streaming media stick with a new Wi-Fi antenna design optimized for 4K Ultra HD streaming.
- Launch and control content with the all-new Alexa Voice Remote. Watch favorites from Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, STARZ, SHOWTIME, or CBS All Access, plus stream for free with Pluto TV, IMDb Freedive, and others.
- Enjoy brilliant picture with access to 4K Ultra HD, Dolby Vision, HDR, and HDR10+. Experience immersive sound with Dolby Atmos on select Prime Video titles.
- Choose from 500,000 movies and TV episodes. Watch favorites from Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, STARZ, SHOWTIME, CBS All Access, and others.
- Fire TV Stick devices have more storage for apps and games than any other streaming media stick.
- Experience tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills, plus millions of websites like YouTube, Facebook, and Reddit.
- Alexa on Fire TV provides the most comprehensive voice experience of any streaming media player—view live camera feeds, check the weather, dim the lights, and stream music.
- Amazon Prime members get unlimited access to thousands of movies and TV episodes, plus ad-free listening to millions of songs with Prime Music.
Echo Dot Kids
5. Amazon Echo Dot Kids Edition
Introducing a hands-free, voice-controlled speaker with Alexa, designed with kids in mind. Echo Dot Kids Edition can play age-appropriate music, answer questions, tell stories, control compatible smart home devices, and more. Includes a black Echo Dot, a 1-year subscription to FreeTime Unlimited, a fun kid-friendly case, and a 2-year worry-free guarantee. If they break it, return it and we’ll replace it for free.
View On Amazon
- Now Alexa is a kid-friendly DJ, comedian, and storyteller — and she’s always getting smarter. Just ask and Alexa will play music, answer questions, read stories, tell jokes, and more — all with younger ears in mind.
- Up to $109 in savings on Echo Dot (Black), 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, and a kid-friendly case, plus a 2-year worry-free guarantee—if they break it, return it and we’ll replace it for free
- 1 year of FreeTime Unlimited gives you access to over 1000 Audible books for kids, like Beauty & the Beast and Peter Pan, thousands of songs, and kid-favorite games and skills from Disney, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, and more
- Easy-to-use parental controls in the online Amazon Parent Dashboard let you set daily time limits, review activity, or pause Alexa on the device
- Kids can control lights, plugs, switches, and more with compatible connected devices
- Automatically filter explicit songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, or Spotify
- Call kids to dinner or tell them it’s bedtime from compatible Echo devices in the house. Plus, add approved friends and family for calling and messaging outside the house.
- Echo Dot Kids Edition is not a toy.
4. Wrap Up
These Amazon Alexa devices are pretty cool, especially the smart plug. With Amazon Alexa, we now have the ability to control our electronics with ease and not have to worry about pressing the wrong buttons or missing the morning news with the smart clock.
Overall, if you’re the type that enjoys a new gadget, these top 5 Amazon Alexa devices will keep you busy for quite a while.
If you have any questions about these devices, feel free to leave us a comment below. Or, if you would rather contact us directly, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email in a timely manner.
If you enjoyed this article, do us a favor and share it with your friends! If you like our product reviews, join our mailing list to get notified when we publish new product reviews! Don’t worry, we don’t spam, we only send 1-2 emails every 2 weeks.