Last updated on February 1st, 2020
Today we’re going to show you the best baby strollers under $400!
Being able to move your baby freely during the day is one of the best things a mother or father could ask for. Most of the time, parents of newborns like to take their children out during the day for walks, jogs, or just to get a little bit of sun. Sometimes this can get a little tedious which is why most parents look for a good quality baby stroller so they can walk around with their baby with ease.
Be careful when deciding on a stroller though. Why? Most parents have the assumption that just because the stroller is comfortable for them, they think the stroller is comfortable for their baby also. In reality, this isn’t always the case.
In hindsight, carrying a baby in a stroller is one of the best ways to travel around town with a baby. This is because a baby stroller doesn’t ruin the baby’s development in any way and it is also not stressing the baby’s body either.
Some of the best baby strollers on the market are manufactured with the sole purpose of helping the baby feel free during any time that he or she is in the stroller.
In either case, a baby stroller is highly recommended by most pediatricians mainly because a baby should be carried in the position that they naturally assume whether they are asleep or if they are awake. This has been made very possible by the use of some of the baby strollers that are in the market.
These strollers are suitable for all kinds of moms from the working class to the adventurous moms in the world.
Types Of Baby Strollers
In today’s market, there are five main types of strollers and/or carriers for your child. We have the full-sized stroller, lightweight stroller, jogging stroller, double stroller, and the car seat carrier.
Full-sized strollers are what you commonly see with most people and it’s like an all-in-one stroller. These strollers are built to last so that you can keep it right through your child’s toddler years. They are bigger and more sturdy and usually more durable as well.
Typically these strollers are considered the “standard stroller”. What’s great about them is that many of the models come with a full range of features that make your child’s ride a joy. They also make your life easier as a parent as well.
The pros of these strollers are that they are usually the go-to option for most families which is why for this review, we only included full-sized strollers.
Lightweight strollers or “umbrella strollers” don’t have anywhere near as many features as a full-sized stroller. On the flip side, they are much lighter and can be carried around pretty easily. We see a lot of single mom’s using these types of strollers. They make for a great option for the mom that is on-the-go.
The pro’s of these strollers is that they usually weigh 15 lbs or less (if you can carry two 12 pack of soda, you can carry a lightweight stroller). They are designed to be portable so that they can go anywhere at a moment’s notice. As far as features go, these strollers have basic features such as partial seat recline, expandable canopy, storage basket, and usually a built-in cup holder or snack tray.
There are a few downsides to these strollers though if you’re looking for a stroller that you can use from the newborn months up to toddler age, these strollers will not work. Most lightweight strollers are built for babies that are six to eighteen months of age.
Jogging strollers are used for exactly what they sound like … jogging! If you’re the type of person who likes to get their daily exercise and wants to double up and get your child outside for a while, then a jogging stroller is what you will want. Jogging strollers just recently started being a “thing” in recent years and they’ve only gained in popularity.
The pros of a jogging stroller are that these strollers have some really great suspension which allows you to take your child on rougher terrain if you want to job on a trail somewhere. Many of these jogging strollers are designed with one wheel in the front that swivels so that you can have more stability while jogging at higher speeds. In addition, jogging strollers usually have a hand brake as well, making it easy to slow down at any moment.
There are a couple of downsides to these strollers. Jogging strollers can be a bit heavier and challenging to assemble. Also, if space is tight, don’t count on being able to fold it up. These strollers do not fold up as small as a lightweight stroller does.
Double strollers are strollers that can fit two children inside. These are especially great if you have twins as well. Double strollers come in two different designs, there is tandem seating which is where your children sit behind one another and then there are side-by-side.
The upsides to double strollers is that if you do have twins, this option enables you to manage just one stroller rather than two.
As far as downsides are concerned, these strollers tend to be a lot bigger and bulkier than most strollers and can weight upwards of 40 lbs. They’re also quite tough to fit inside of a vehicle comfortably unless you have a large van or SUV.
Car Seat Carrier
Car seat carriers are wheeled frames that are designed to transform your child’s car seat into a stroller in just a few seconds. What’s great about these is that you can just unsnap the car seat from the base and plop it right onto the stroller! This method is very efficient for people who love to save time.
The upsides to these strollers are that they are very compact and lightweight. The transition is very easy to get in and out of the car and they are very convenient as well.
As with most of these strollers, there are a few downsides as well. Car seat carriers tend to be for short-term use since your child will eventually outgrow the car seat. Although there are some full-featured strollers that function as a car seat frame that can then transition into a toddler-friendly stroller as well.
Why Have Baby Strollers Gotten So Expensive?
Have you noticed baby strollers getting more and more expensive throughout the years? It’s not because companies are greedy, that’s not what we think at all. When it comes to our children, we want them to be as safe and protected as possible. One of the biggest reasons that baby strollers are more expensive these days is because they are much safer than they were just 15 years ago.
Modern baby strollers are built with stronger materials, packed with features, and there any many more types of strollers as well. Because of this, the cost of strollers has only gone up. Not to worry though, it’s all because these companies want your child to be safe and have a comfortable ride.
How Much Should You Pay For A Stroller?
I’m sure you’ve seen the many strollers out there that are super expensive and seem like they’re way out of your league. Trust me, they are. The expensive strollers are expensive for one reason and one reason only … to market towards wealthy people. That is literally the only difference. I’ve personally seen a $120 stroller last much longer than a $1,300 stroller. This goes to show that a higher price does not always mean “better quality”.
Most parents can easily get by with anything under $300. We felt this number is very reasonable especially if you decide to have a second or third child. Let’s take a look at some of the best strollers on the market. We did our research and compiled a list of the top 5 Best Baby Strollers Under $300.
Top 5 Best Baby Strollers Under $400
We spent a few days researching and talking to over two dozen new moms who were also on a budget. If you’re in the market for the best baby stroller on a budget, our top 5 will not disappoint.
Most of these strollers were chosen based on a variety of factors. We chose our best baby strollers on cost (under $400), durability, comfortability, popularity, and feature usage. Below is our list of the top 5 best baby strollers under $400.
1. Graco Uno 2
The UNO2DUO stroller is the only stroller you’ll ever need! It starts out as a single stroller and then expands into a double stroller with 8 riding options for one or two children. It grows as your family grows!
The UNO2DUO can be used starting when your child is an infant-the main seat reclines flat to become a bassinet. And if a second baby arrives, your big kid can ride on the standing platform while your little one rides up front.
- The UNO2DUO stroller starts as a single stroller and expands to a double stroller as your family grows.
- Simply extend the stroller 5″ with one easy step when your family grows from 1 to 2 children.
- This versatile travel system grows with your family for years with 8 ways to ride with one or two children.
- Reclining seat converts to an infant bassinet for on-the-go comfort for baby in both parent facing, and forward-facing modes.
- The standing platform in the rear of the stroller gives toddlers fun and easy ride-along option.
- Expand the stroller 5″ to form an even bigger storage basket and more space when you need it.
- Easy one-hand fold conveniently works with and without the seat on the frame.
- The Click Connect system securely attaches an infant car seat to the stroller frame for 10 additional ways to ride.
- Dishwasher safe parent cup and phone holder along with a removable child’s tray with cup holders provide easy-to-reach storage.
- Second seat available for purchase (sold separately) for 3 additional riding options.
2. Graco Fastaction
Graco’s first jogger is the ultimate crossover stroller, combining all the comfort & convenience features of a traditional stroller with the performance & maneuverability of an all-terrain jogger. For parents who love to stay active and want one of the best baby stollers that has works well on all kinds of terrain.
This stroller is loaded with innovative features like the one-second, one-hand fast-action fold bringing the ultimate in convenience to a jogger. Click Connect technology allows for a one-step, secure connection of infant car seat to stroller.
- Stroller travel system includes the Graco Snug Ride Click Connect 35 infant car seat, rear-facing for infants from 4-35 pounds and up to 32″.
- One-second, one-hand fold provides the ultimate in convenience for moms on-the-go.
- Jogging travel system features air-filled rubber tires that offer suspension for a smooth ride on any terrain.
- Locking front swivel wheel provides an easy transition from daily strolling to jogging; Lock the front wheel in this car seat stroller combo for added stability while running and unlock the wheel for maneuverability on daily strolls.
- Deluxe, padded, multi-position reclining seat for baby’s comfort.
3. Evenflo Pivot
The Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System is the multipurpose travel stroller you’ve been looking for. This exceptional multipurpose carriage, stroller, and car seat combo is a durable travel stroller that includes the Sarema Infant Car Seat and Safe Zone Base.
The Sarema Infant Car Seat features an anti-rebound bar that limits the amount of rebound movement experienced in a frontal impact. The modular frame can be configured with up to 6 modes of use. It is reversible, with a rear-facing height ranging from 17 to 32 inches, allowing your baby to face in or out, while the seat can easily convert to carriage, travel system, and frame stroller modes.
- This elegant travel system comes complete with Evenflo’s Rollover Tested SafeMax Infant Car Seat and stay-in-car base that accommodates infants and children from 4-35 pounds (Stroller maximum weight is 50 pounds).
- This full-size luxury travel system features 6 modes of use – a reversible carriage mode offers 2 options, Frame Stroller, Travel system, and Toddler Stroller. The rear-facing height is 17 to 32 inches.
- The Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System features new Cruiser Tires to provide your child with a smooth ride, while also making the stroller effortless to push with its ergonomic handles.
- The SafeMax has an extremely lightweight design to fit your lifestyle.
4. Baby Trend EZ (Most Popular)
The EZ Ride 5 Travel System in Hounds Tooth includes a fixed back infant car seat with an EZ Flex-Loc stay in car base. The Baby Trend EZ Ride 5 Travel System is the perfect solution for new parents. The three-wheel stroller provides outstanding ease of maneuverability compared to conventional travel system strollers.
This travel system includes the EZ Ride Stroller and highly rated Flex-Loc Infant Seat. Both the stroller and infant car seat feature 5-point safety harnesses for maximum safety and protection.
The EZ Ride Stroller features a thick and luxurious padded seat with multiple recline positions and has large, soft head support which can be used in either the car seat or stroller, a covered parent tray with two deep cup holders, a height-adjustable handle and a peek-a-boo window on the canopy. The car seat has been designed with EPS energy-absorbing foam for added protection.
- Swing-away child tray with snack/cup holders.
- The infant car seat accommodates 5 ~ 30 pounds and heights of 30 inches or less.
- Large soft head support for the car seat or the stroller.
- Multi-position reclining seat, and height-adjustable handle.
- Folds up with one hand.
- Works great for children from birth and up to 50lbs.
5. Safety First
The Safety First Smooth Ride Travel System makes strolling easy with everything you need to truly enjoy your time when out-and-about with your baby.
The agile wheels provide maximum maneuverability around corners, while the flip-flop friendly brakes make it simple to stop and park the stroller with ease. This stroller is one of the best baby strollers for parents on a limited budget that will both keep your child safe and won’t hurt your wallet.
- This Safety 1st all-in-one travel system allows for a seamless transition from car to stroller. QuickClick technology secures the latch-equipped car seat to the stroller without disturbing your baby.
- With exceptional side-impact protection, the included rear-facing infant car seat includes added back and neck support for newborns.
- It has an over-sized canopy with flip-out visor and peek-a-boo window. These features provide shade and airflow on hot sunny days.
- There’s also a convenient basket under the seat that provides storage for baby items.
- Designed for travel, the stroller is lightweight, has a fast, one-hand fold, and stands on its own when folded.
- It has a five-point safety harness that keeps children up to 50 pounds (in stroller mode) or up to 35 pounds (in car seat mode) safe and secure. The harness is adjustable to provide a customized fit as well.
How To Get Rid Of Your Old Stroller
Even when you’re finished with your stroller, someone else could probably use it.
There are a few ways you can get rid of your stroller when you no longer need it anymore. You can give it to a family member who might be having a child. If you don’t have any family members who are expecting, you can always give it to a friend.
Another method would be to sell it on Craigslist or the Facebook Marketplace which is what most people end up doing. If you want to get rid of the stroller fast and don’t feel the need to make money from it, you can always donate it.
Overall, we had a lot of fun learning about the best baby strollers under $400. Our team is made up of four married men that never knew much about strollers before this review. We honestly had no idea that there were so many different factors to consider while shopping for a baby stroller.
Now that we’re educated in the best baby strollers for parents on a budget, we’ll be planning on doing another review for luxury strollers in the future. Join our mailing list and we’ll let you know when it’s published!
Which brand of strollers do you trust the most? Let us know in the comments below!