Top 5 Best Cordless Power Drills | Which Power Drills Are The Best?
Whether you’re a handyman fixing up a house or a licensed contractor, a good quality power drill is a must-have in any toolbox. When you have the correct drill bits and accessories to go along, a cordless power can honestly be the most useful tool you own. This is why further down the article, we’re going to show you the top 5 best cordless power drills in each category. Categories consist of heavy-duty drills, general-use drills, and light-duty drills.
This product review and buying guide will help you understand the many different features that are equipped with modern power drills so you can choose one that best fits your needs.
There are many types of cordless power drills on the market, but the power drills that you want to look at will highly depend on the type of projects you’ll be doing. But in this article, we’re mainly going to focus on drill-drivers.
Drill drivers are the typical all-purpose drills that are mainly used for drilling holes and driving screws. We’ll be doing reviews on other types of drills in the near future as well, visit our Tools & Storage category to view all of our power tool product reviews.
As always, we want you to be safe when handling power drills as well. Below is a brief safety note.
Safety: Always be cautious when using power tools. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe use, and use power tools for their intended purposes only. In addition, wear safety equipment while handling power tools. At the minimum, wear eye protection – you only have 2 eyes. Protect them!
Table of Contents
Topics Covered In This Product Review
- Cordless Power Drill Buying Guide
- Top 5 Best Heavy Duty Power Drills
- 5 Best General Use Power Drills
- Top 5 Best Light Duty Power Drills
- Tips For Using Your Power Drill
- Wrap Up
Affiliate Disclaimer – If you purchase a new power drill with any of our affiliate links, we will donate a good portion of it at no expense to you. With our product review revenues, we donate a good chunk to help our United States Veterans on a monthly basis. Your support greatly helps and we genuinely appreciate it. We try our best to make our reviews unbiased and backed by our findings by using and testing each product that we review in our testing facility.
1. Cordless Power Drill Buying Guide
As you already know, a cordless power drill is one of the most important tools you’ll ever buy. We say this because it’s likely the one tool that you’ll use the most often. Especially when it comes to building a deck, remodeling a kitchen, or even small tasks such as assembling furniture. You might even use your drill to take apart and fix your other power tools.
In the modern era, most cordless power drills run on lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries. The reason why is because they deliver a lot more power and can operate at a much longer rate.
Decide What Type Of Power Drill You Need
Before you start diving deeper into the pros and cons of each individual power drill, you’ll want to narrow your search based on how you expect to use the drill. There are three basic categories for power drills that include: Heavy Duty Drills, General-Use Drills, and Light-Duty Drills.
The funny thing is, drill manufacturers, don’t market their drills by category like that. Because of this, we ended up using chick size in our tests.
Not sure what a “chuck” is? A chuck is the three-way clamp that sticks out of the head of the drill. This clamp secures all your drill bits and other inserts into place so that they don’t move around loosely while drilling. Basically, the bigger the chuck means the drill can hold bigger driving bits. In addition, a drill with a larger chuck will generally have more power as well. Below is an overview of the 3 main types of power drills.
1. Heavy-Duty Drills
Heavy-duty drills are typically built with 18-24 volt batteries which give them a lot of power to be able to drive large fasteners and boreholes through thicker boards. These big boys have 1/2-inch chucks and will accept almost any sized drill bit.
Because of their capabilities, heavy-duty drills are typically the most expensive compared to the other two types of drills. They will also be the heaviest as well, therefore you’ll want to make sure you get one where the battery clips in place on the bottom.
2. General-Use Drills
This is the most common type of power drill. Typically, these drills will have a 3/8-inch chuck and will be powered by a 12-volt battery. These drills can bore holes in wood relatively easy if it’s not too thick.
These drills can also drive a small box of screws on a single charge as well. With general-use drills, it makes the most sense to buy at least 2 batteries to start. That way you’ll be able to swap them out when working outside for the day.
3. Light-Duty Drills
These light-duty drills are mainly for small tasks. These are your typical “around-the-house” types of drills. Light-duty drills are best suited for changing light fixtures or drilling into drywall, simple lightweight work that doesn’t require a lot of torque.
These drills have batteries that typically run anywhere from 12 to 20 volts but their small motors don’t spin or drive with the same amount of force as a heavy-duty drill does. Light-duty drills also typically have a 1/4-inch chuck, which means they’re only meant for lightweight drill bits.
Overall, if you’re looking for a drill to do work around the house, you’ll want a light-duty drill. We recommend the Milwaukee M12 Light-Duty Drill.
Identify Which Features You Need
Below are 3 of those most common features that people look for in a new power drill. Identify which features matter to you the most.
- Chuck Size – Most cordless drills come with a 1/2-inch or 3/8-inch chuck. Again you’ll need to know what type of drilling you’ll be doing most often. Ask yourself, will you need larger bits or smaller bits most of the time? This also goes into power output as well since drills with larger chucks typically have more power.
- Brushless Motor – Brushless motors reduce friction and sense resistance from the work material, continually adjusting the amount of power they draw from the battery. Manufacturers say this translates to longer run times, more power, and longer product life.
- Extra “Stuff” – Many drills have many different add-ons and cool little extra features that can come in handy. Most cordless drills these days come with built-in LED lights, simple bit sets, and belt clips, etc. But you can also get extra features such as larger batteries, better chargers, brighter clip-on work lights, and so much more.
Now you have a general idea of the different types of power drills and what to look for. Next, we’ll show you the Top 5 Best Power Drills for each type of drill. We will cover the Top 5 Heavy-Duty Drills, Top 5 General-Use Drills, and the Top 5 Light-Duty Drills.
2. Top 5 Best Heavy Duty Power Drills
We’ll start with heavy-duty drills and work our way down to the Top 5 Best Light-Duty Drills! Heavy-Duty drills are typically what you’ll see in the toolbox of a handyman or a general contractor.
Milwaukee M18 FUEL
1. Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt
The Milwaukee M18 FUEL ½ in. Drill Driver is the industry’s most powerful brushless battery-powered drill, delivering up to 60% more power. Its cordless body is up to 1.5” shorter and up to 2 times faster under heavy load than other models. The all-metal ratcheting chuck is the best-in-class by providing increased bit grip strength and corrosion resistance.
The POWERSTATE Brushless Motor was purposely built for the M18 FUEL ½ in. Drill Driver to provide Up To 60% more power than the competitive set. Built-in REDLINK PLUS Intelligence ensures optimal tool performance and provides overload protection to prevent damage to the tool and battery during heavy applications while still maintaining compatibility across the entire M18 system.
- Up To 60% More Power: 1,200 in-lbs of torque.
- Only 6.9 in. in length for access into tight spaces and reduced fatigue.
- LED on foot of tool for better lighting in dark spaces.
- POWERSTATE Brushless Motor: Purposely built for the M18 FUEL 1/2″ Drill Driver to provide Up To 60% More Power than the competitive set.
- REDLINK PLUS Intelligence: Ensures optimal performance and provides overload protection to prevent damage to the tool and battery during heavy applications while still maintaining compatibility across the entire M18 System.
- 1/2in. all-metal ratcheting chuck.
- REDLITHIUM XC 5.0Ah Battery Pack: Delivers more work per charge and more work over the life of the pack than competitors.
- Compatible with all M18 batteries.
- 5-year tool and 3-year battery warranty.
- Includes: (1) M18 FUEL 1/2″ Drill Driver (2803-20), (2) REDLITHIUM XC5.0 Battery, (1) M18 & M12 Multi-Voltage Charger, (1) Side Handle, (1) Belt Clip, (1) Bit Holder, (1) Carrying Case.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 39 reviews) = 4.5 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
Sign up to get notified when we publish new product reviews!
Don't worry, we won't spam you - we only send 1-2 emails per week.
2. DeWALT 20-Volt Max
The DEWALT Drill-Driver gives you strength and speed. It features a high efficiency motor that delivers 535 Unit Watt Out of max power for superior performance in all drilling and fastening applications. It also offers the ultimate in control with a variable, 3-speed transmission and 22 clutch settings.
- Includes drill-driver (DCD980), 1-hour charger, two 20-Volt Max XR premium lithium-ion batteries, 360° side handle and a carrying case.
- 3-speed, all-metal transmission matches the tool to the task for fastest application speed and improved run time.
- 1/2 in. metal, ratcheting, keyless chuck with carbide inserts provides superior bit gripping strength.
- LED light with a 20-second delay after trigger release.
- 3-year warranty, 1-year free service contract and 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Part of the 20-Volt Max system.
- (2) 4.0 Ahr battery packs.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 31 reviews) = 4.7 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
DeWALT 20-Volt MAX XR
3. DeWALT 20-Volt Max XR
The DEWALT MAX XR Drill Driver is ideal for most drilling and fastening applications on the jobsite or home. This drill features a DEWALT brushless motor delivers up to 57% more run time over brushed. Includes a kit box, 2 battery packs and a charger.
- XR lithium-ion batteries with fuel gauge provide 33% more capacity over standard packs.
- Compact (6.9 in. front to back), lightweight (3.4 lb.) design fits into tight areas.
- High-speed transmission with 2-speed settings (0-550/0-2,000 RPM) delivers up to 30% faster application speeds.
- Ergonomic comfort grip handle provides ideal balance and tool control.
- Metal 1/2 in. ratcheting chuck for superior bit gripping strength.
- 3-mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than the previous model.
- LED spotlight mode features a 20-minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 319 reviews) = 4.5 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
Milwaukee M18 18-Volt
4. Milwaukee M18 18-Volt Cordless Power Drill
The MILWAUKEE M18 1/2 in. Compact Brushless Drill/Driver Kit is the best drill in class, delivering unmatched power while maintaining its compact size. The brushless motor was built to ensure optimal tool performance. Built-in REDLINK power tool technology paired with REDLITHIUM batteries ensure these compact drills provide efficient power delivery resulting in less down time recharging batteries.
The brushless drill’s compact body is 6-1/2 in. long and lightweight at 3.4 lb. with the battery attached. Its small, light build allows for excellent control, especially while working in overhead or tight spaces. The compact drill/driver delivers 500 in. lbs. of torque and 0-500/0-1,800 RPM, able to tackle a wide range of drilling and fastening applications.
The cordless compact drill has an all-metal gear case and 1/2 in. metal chuck. The compact brushless kit comes with the 1/2″ drill/driver, two M18 REDLITHIUM CP2.0 compact batteries, an M18/M12 Multi-Voltage Charger, and Carrying Case.
- Compact design: provides excellent balance and control, ideal for overhead applications or work in tight spaces.
- Chuck type: 1/2 in. metal ratcheting single sleeve.
- All-metal gear case and 1/2 in. metal chuck: provide maximum impact and shock durability.
- Milwaukee brushless motor: optimized for efficiency, this motor delivers more run-time and longer life.
- REDLINK Intelligence: Advanced overload protection defends against heavy-duty applications and monitors the temperature to prevent damage and ensure maximum tool & battery life.
- REDLITHIUM Battery: Superior pack construction, electronics, and performance deliver more work per charge and more work over pack life than any battery on the market.
- Includes 2801-20 Drill Driver, (2) 48-11-1820 M18 REDLITHIUM 2.0 compact batteries, 48-59-1812 M18-M12 multi-voltage charger, carrying case.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 210 reviews) = 5 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
5. Makita 18-Volt LXT Cordless Power Drill
The Makita 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2 in. Driver-Drill (model XFD10R) delivers power, performance and superior ergonomics in a compact size, with a fast-charging battery for less down time. It’s part of Makita’s expanding 18-Volt Lithium-Ion series, the world’s largest cordless tool line-up powered by an 18-Volt Lithium-Ion slide-style battery.
- Mechanical 2-speed transmission (0-600 and 0-1,900 RPM) for a wide range of drilling and driving applications
- Extreme protection technology (XPT) engineered for improved dust and water resistance for operation in harsh job site conditions
- Dual LED lights with afterglow illuminate the work area
- Ergonomic shape fits like a glove with even pressure and easy control
- Rubberized soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job
- Weighs only 3.3 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 7-1/4 in. L
- All-metal ratcheting chuck engineered to prevent bit slippage and improves bit retention
- 18-Volt compact lithium-ion 2.0Ah battery BL1820 provides up to 50% more run time per charge compared to BL1815
- The 18-Volt compact lithium-ion 2.0Ah battery BL1820 reaches a full charge in 25-minutes or less
- 18-Volt compact lithium-ion 2.0Ah battery BL1820 is compatible with 18-Volt LXT tools
- Equipped with star protection computer controls to protect against overloading, over-discharging, and over-heating
- The rapid optimum charger communicates with the battery’s built-in chip throughout the charging process to optimize battery life by actively controlling current, voltage, and temperature
- The rapid optimum charger has a built-in fan to cool the battery for faster, more efficient charging
- Compatible with Makita 18-Volt lithium-ion batteries with a star symbol
- 3-year limited warranty on tool, battery, and charger
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 126 reviews) = 4.7 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
3. Top 5 Best General-Use Power Drills
General-use power drills are typically what you’ll see in the average home. If you’re just doing lightweight projects or building your own furniture etc, a general-use power drill will be more than enough to get the job done.
1. Milwaukee M12 12-Volt
Drill and fasten up to 35% faster with the only tool in its class that has an all-metal locking chuck. The powerful M12 Cordless Lithium-Ion 3/8 Drill/Driver delivers 275 in-lbs of torque up to 25% more torque than the competition and 0-400/0-1,500 RPM. It’s compact, lightweight and durable design means greater comfort and efficiency on the job site.
The all-metal single-sleeve ratcheting chuck offers superior bit grip, so you won’t have to stop for bit retightening or lost bits. The onboard LED light and fuel gauge help you increase productivity and avoid interruptions. The lithium Battery Pack delivers more work per charge and more work over pack life than the competitors.
The kit includes 2 M12 red lithium batteries, a 30-minute charger and carrying case. Includes free M12 12-Volt lithium-ion compact battery (2-Pack)
- Delivers up to 275 in./lbs. of torque.
- Onboard battery fuel gauge displays remaining run time.
- New ergonomic handle design for increased comfort.
- Metal Ratcheting Chuck for maximum durability.
- 2-speed gearbox. (0-400/0-1500 RPM)
- 5-year warranty on tool and charger; 2-year warranty on batteries.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 336 reviews) = 4.9 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
2. Makita 12-Volt Max CXT
The Makita 12-Volt MAX CXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 3/8 in. Driver-Drill delivers power and speed in an ultra-compact size for drilling, driving and fastening applications. The kit includes two 12-Volt MAX CXT Lithium-Ion slide-style batteries for improved balance and ergonomics over pod-style batteries. For added convenience the batteries include an on-board LED charge level indicator.
This drill weighs only 2.4 lbs. (with 12-Volt MAX CXT 2.0Ah battery) and delivers 250 in. lbs. of Maximum Torque. It is an ideal solution for users seeking a more compact driver-drill with less weight or for applications in tight spaces.
- Includes: 12-Volt MAX CXT 3/8 in. driver-drill (FD05Z), two 12-Volt MAX CXT lithium-ion batteries (BL1021B), 12-Volt MAX CXT lithium-ion charger (DC10WD), tool case.
- Variable 2-speed design (0-450 and 0-1,700 RPM) covers a wide range of drilling and driving applications.
- Makita built motor delivers 250 in. lbs. of maximum torque.
- Ergonomically designed handle with rubberized soft grip provides increased comfort.
- 12-Volt MAX CXT slide battery design enables the tool to stand on its own for user convenience.
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 7-7/16 in.
- Weighs only 2.4 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue.
- Built-in LED light illuminates the work area.
- Ideal for work in tight spaces.
- Convenient 3/8 in. keyless chuck for quick bit changes.
- Battery protection circuit protects against overloading, over-discharging, and over-heating.
- 12-Volt MAX CXT lithium-ion 2.0Ah battery BL1021B, features an integrated LED battery charge level indicator.
- Part of the expanding 12-Volt MAX CXT series, combining performance with superior ergonomics in a compact size.
- Not compatible with 12-Volt MAX pod-style tools, batteries and chargers.
- 3-year limited warranty on tool, battery, and charger.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 40 reviews) = 4.2 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
3. RIDGID 12-Volt
RIDGID introduces the new 12-Volt Drill/Driver kit. With the included Hyper Lithium batteries, you can get up to 50% more work output compared to standard lithium. With free registration, this tool is covered for life, free Batteries, free Parts and free Service, for Life.
Includes R82005 Drill, (2) R82048 Hyper Lithium-Ion Batteries, R86049 Charger, Double Ended Bit, Bag and Operators Manuals.
- Powerful motor delivers 400 in. lbs. of torque in a compact size.
- Removable belt hook to keep the tool in immediate reach.
- Onboard LED light illuminates the work area for improved visibility.
- Low battery voltage indicator LED light flashes when the battery voltage is low.
- 3/8 in. single sleeve chuck securely holds bits during high torque applications.
- Hex grip enhanced micro-texture for a secure grip and maximum user comfort.
- 2-speed settings and 2-speed ranges for maximum performance in any job.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 199 reviews) = 4.9 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
4. DeWALT 12-Volt Max
The DEWALT 3/8 in. 12-Volt Cordless Drill/Driver Kit packs lots of drilling power into a small, compact design that weighs just over 2 lbs. and, at 7-1/2 in. long, it’s designed to access tight spaces you can’t reach with a traditional drill/driver.
The 2-speed transmission provides reliable speed and torque control, so you can apply maximum leverage and get the most out of its 189 Unit Watt Output. With 2 included batteries, you’ll always have a spare ready to go.
- Includes drill/driver, 2 lithium-ion battery packs, a charger, belt clip, and a case.
- 3/8 in. single sleeve keyless chuck facilitates quick bit changes and helps reduce bit slippage.
- The 12-Volt motor delivers 0-400 RPM or 0-1500 RPM.
- Also compatible with these batteries (DCB120) and chargers (DCB100, DCB101, DCB119).
- Radially mounted LED light eliminates shadows and provides visibility in dark areas.
- UL listed.
- The recharge time of the battery is between 30 minutes and 1 hour.
- Other batteries and chargers sold separately, this tool works with these batteries (DCB120) and chargers (DCB100, DCB101, DCB119).
- 3-year warranty.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 111 reviews) = 4.8 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
5. RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+
RYOBI introduces the 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless 3/8 in. Drill/Driver Kit with 1.3 Ah Battery and Charger. The drill/driver features a 3/8 in. keyless chuck with a 24-position clutch that adjusts the torque output to control the depth of the screw or fastener. The drill features the exclusive MAGTRAY and onboard bit storage, which allows convenient placement of bits and screws.
This kit is powered a lithium-ion battery that holds a charge up to 4X longer, offers up to 20% more runtime, and is 45% lighter weight than Ni-Cd batteries. Best of all, like all 18-Volt ONE+ batteries, the included battery works with every ONE+ tool ever made. Backed by the RYOBI 3-Year Manufacturer’s Warranty, this Drill/Driver kit includes an 18-Volt ONE+ 1.3 Ah Compact Lithium-Ion Battery, an 18-Volt Charger, a screwdriver bit, and an operator’s manual.
- 3/8 in. keyless chuck for quick and easy bit changes.
- The 24-position clutch adjusts the torque output to control the depth of the screw or fastener.
- MAGTRAY holds screws, bits, and hardware on foot of drill for easy access.
- Compatible with all RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ batteries.
- GRIP ZONE over mold for optimum grip and user comfort.
- 2-speed gearbox for high-torque or high-speed applications.
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Includes (1) P209 Drill/Driver with Screwdriver Bit, (1) P102 1.3 Ah Compact Lithium-Ion Battery, (1) P118B 18-Volt Charger, and operator’s manuals.
- Charger: Maintenance Mode – Batteries stored on charger are conditioned for peak performance.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 969 reviews) = 4.2 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
4. Top 5 Best Light-Duty Power Drills
Light-duty power drills are typically used for “around-the-house” tasks and anything that wouldn’t require loads of torque. For example, you wouldn’t want to try and build a deck with a light-duty drill. But, if you’re drilling holes into your drywall or fixing a bike, a light-duty drill will do the job.
Milwaukee M12 FUEL
1. Milwaukee M12 FUEL 12-Volt
Milwaukee’s M12 FUEL Brushless 2-Speed Screwdriver Kit delivers exceptional productivity in a compact size. The POWERSTATE Brushless Motor offers constant power output while still running cool with no wearable components. Powered by a Red Lithium 2.0 battery pack that delivers more power and twice the recharges of standard lithium-ion batteries, your tool is conditioned for peak performance even in extreme job site conditions.
The battery also features REDLINK PLUS Intelligence, a technology designed to ensure maximum performance and protection from overload, overheating and over-discharge. The kit’s compact size allows you to work easily in tight spots, while the built-in LED light offers visibility in dark or confined areas.
- Includes 2402-20 M12 1/4 in. hex screwdriver, two 2.0 Ah red lithium compact battery packs, M12 charger, carrying case and belt clip.
- Power state brushless motor delivers efficient, maintenance-free performance.
- Delivers up to 325 in. lbs. of peak torque for a variety of applications.
- Redlink plus intelligence provides optimized performance and overload protection using total system communication between tool, battery, and charger.
- Red lithium battery technology offers superior pack construction, electronics, and performance.
- Onboard fuel gauge helps you monitor the charge more accurately for less downtime on the job.
- Compatible with all M12 batteries.
- 5-year limited warranty on tool; 2-year limited warranty on the compact battery.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 134 reviews) = 5 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
2. Milwaukee M12 12-Volt
The MILWAUKEE M12 ¼” Hex Screwdriver Kit is optimized for professionals who frequently encounter precision fastening applications. The cordless hex screwdriver delivers unmatched precision, power, and portability along with a slimmer, more ergonomic grip. A variable speed trigger and 0-500 RPM provides users with unrivaled fastening control while 15+1 clutch settings to prevent over-tightening of fasteners.
The tool’s 175 in-lbs. of torque provide users with the power to handle tough applications. The hex head screwdriver is only 6-1/2″ long and only weighs 2.0lbs. It’s compact, lightweight and durable design gives users better access to tight job site spaces without sacrificing comfort.
An onboard LED light and fuel gauge help increase user productivity and avoid interruptions. The hex screwdriver features two belt-clip positions for both left- and right-handed users and one-handed bit changes for maximum ease-of-use.
- Variable-speed trigger for increased control.
- Quick-change keyless 1/4 in. hex chuck for easy 1-handed bit insertion and removal.
- Ergonomic and compact design for fitting comfortably in tight workspaces as well as a pocket or on a tool belt.
- Compact power: delivers 175 in./lbs. of torque yet weighs 2 lbs.
- 15-position clutch for refined control over the tool’s operation.
- Battery fuel gauge: Displays remaining runtime.
- Compatible with all M12 batteries and chargers.
- Battery charge time: 30-minutes.
- Compatible with all M12 chargers.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 433 reviews) = 5 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
3. Makita 7.2-Volt Cordless Power Drill
Makita’s 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Driver-Drill Kit with Auto-Stop Clutch delivers convenience and precision drilling and driving power to torque-specific assembly applications. It combines the ultra-compact design of a cordless screwdriver with 21 clutch settings and an auto-stop clutch for extra fastening control. This drill is powered by a Makita-built motor that delivers 71 in. lbs. of Max Torque in drilling mode. The 2-speed gear selection offers 200 RPM and 650 RPM for low or high speed applications.
The 21 clutch settings offer a range of fastening torque, from 32 in. lbs. in clutch setting #1 to 50 in. lbs. in #21. For added precision and control, the auto-stop clutch shuts off the tool when the clutch disengages and helps prevent over-driving on the fastener. For extra versatility, the tool will operate in straight or pistol grip positions.
- Makita-built motor delivers 71 in. lbs. of max torque in a compact design.
- Built-in LED light flashes when it is time to recharge the battery.
- 2-speed design (200 RPM and 650 RPM) for high or low torque applications.
- Operates in straight or pistol grip positions.
- 21 clutch settings and a drill mode for added fastening control. (fastening torque range: 32-50 in. lbs.)
- Auto-stop clutch: tool shuts off when clutch disengages for extra fastening control and prevents overdriving the fastener.
- Built-in LED light illuminates the work area.
- Convenient 1/4 in. hex chuck for quick bit changes.
- Soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job.
- Makita 7.2-Volt lithium-ion battery provides longer run time and lower self-discharge.
- 3-year limited warranty on tool, battery, and charger.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 9 reviews) = 5 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
DeWALT 8-Volt MAX
4. DeWALT 8-Volt MAX Cordless Power Drill
The DEWALT Cordless Gyroscopic Screwdriver is the ideal tool for any professional looking for a compact, portable screwdriver with precise speed control. An adjustable 2-position handle allows for operation in either in-line or pistol-grip. This screwdriver is backed by a DEWALT 3 Year Limited Warranty for added peace of mind.
- Motion activation variable speed and reversing control for precise fastening control.
- Motion-activated variable speed 0-430 RPM for fastening into wood, plastic and light-gauge metal.
- Allows control when completing light fastening applications.
- Allows illumination in confined areas without shadowing.
- The battery state of charge on the tool allows users to know when to charge packs.
- Allows for quick screwdriver bit change and holds 1 in. bit tips.
- 8-Volt Max battery pack allows for longer run time and charges in 1 hour.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 190 reviews) = 4.5 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
5. Hilti 12-Volt Cordless Power Drill
This 1/4 in. cordless drill driver delivers reliable fastening performance to get your job done quickly. This tool features a 15-position torque clutch to give you more control when fastening while protecting your finished products and base materials. It provides full control of drilling and driving functions with its rapid switch reaction.
Operating quietly, this compact power drill is ideal for compact spaces. Double LEDs at the base of the tool offer convenient lighting. It includes a pair of batteries, a charger, a soft bag, and a belt hook.
- Package includes 1x SFD 2-A Hammer Drill/Driver (2081460), 2x B 12/2.6 Battery pack (2077977), 1x C4/12-50 charger (2076996), 1x belt clip (2012703) and bag (2115246).
- Ultra-compact design for easy use wherever space is limited.
- Rapid switch reaction for full control of the drilling or driving operation.
- Ideal illumination thanks to double LED’s incorporated in the base of the tool.
- Rubber side contact points for improved ruggedness and protection of the work surface.
- Voltage, current and temperature sensors for efficient motor protection.
Overall Consumer Rating (based on 6 reviews) = 4.9 out of 5 stars View at The Home Depot
5. Tips For Using Your Power Drill
Below are 4 simple tips that will help you feel comfortable with your new power drill. It’s new, it’s shiny, and most people (including myself) would be tempted to mess around with it when it arrives on on our doorstep. But, don’t do that. Here are 4 tips for using your new power drill.
Understand The Difference Between Speed And Torque
- Speed – One thing to understand is that speed and torque are two totally different things. Most electric power drills have two speeds, although some have three. Anyway, speed generally relates to how fast the drill bit or driver bit is rotating. Lower speeds are great for driving screws. Higher speeds are typically used for drilling or driving small fasteners. Tip: Don’t try adjusting the speed while you’re drilling, you’ll take the chance of screwing up the gears in the motor.
- Torque – Torque has to do with the rotating force on the drill bit itself. The clutch inside the drill sets the torque and most drills have clutch settings that range from 1-10 or 1-20. These numbers are typically found around the collar of the drill itself.
Get Familiar With Forward And Reverse
The controls for setting forward and reverse typically change the direction in which the drill bit is spinning. Forward is obviously clockwise and reverse is counterclockwise. Forward drills the drill bit inside and makes the screw go “deeper”. Reverse mode is just the opposite, it makes the screw come out of the hole.
Understand How Your Chuck Works
These days it’s not to hard to figure out but in case you’re not sure, most modern drills have a keyless chuck. This means that you can loosen and tighten the chuck by hand. All you have to do is turn the chuck sleeve counterclockwise to open it far enough to insert a new drill bit. The same goes in the opposite direction. Turn it clockwise to tighten the new drill bit into place.
Don’t Ignore Your Batteries
I’ve seen this a lot and it can cause damage to your battery if you don’t keep an eye on it every now and then. Basically, you want to take the battery off the charger as soon as the light indicator turns green. This is also helpful because you want your batteries to always be ready for your next job or project.
However, with most modern drills, if they have a Lithium-Ion battery, you can go ahead and leave those on the charger as long as you want. You won’t do any damage to those by leaving them on the charger. I guess that’s a good thing about modern technology, right?
6. Wrap Up
Well, that does it for this review. We had a lot of fun writing this one. If you have any questions about any of these drills, feel free to leave a comment below and ask us anything.
We have done extensive research and have gathered numerous amounts of information about these drills from industry professionals. Be on the lookout for our next power tools review as we will be writing a lot more in the near future!
If you have any questions about any of these power drills, feel free to leave us a comment below. Or, if you prefer sending us a message directly, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email in a timely manner.
If you enjoyed this article, do us a favor and share it with your friends! If you like our product reviews, join our mailing list to get notified when we publish new product reviews! Don’t worry, we don’t spam, we only send 1-2 emails every 2 weeks.