Last updated on January 5th, 2020
It’s the weekend and the grass on your lawn is getting long. It’s time to mow and you are absolutely dreading the idea of getting the mower out and having to deal with mowing the lawn again. You’re also probably annoyed by the fact that you have to go to the gas station just to fill up a jug of gas for the mower as well!
In today’s modern world, nobody likes to waste time and having to go to the gas station just to get gas for the lawnmower, it’s pretty annoying. Today we’re going to show you the best electric lawn mowers!
But guess what, now you don’t have too! Now we’ve got these super-efficient electric lawnmowers. That’s right! No more having to go to the gas station just to fill a jug with smelly gasoline to mow your lawn. These electric mowers run on highly efficient batteries so you don’t have to deal with gas anymore.
Another great thing about these electric lawnmowers is they last a lot longer because you don’t have to deal with the engine flooding with gas or any random annoyances like that.
About Electric Lawn Mowers
There are two types of electric lawnmowers. We have corded electric lawnmowers and we have cordless electric lawnmowers.
When it comes to power, cordless electric lawn mowers are typically powered by a variable number of 12-volt, 56-volt, and 80-volt rechargeable batteries. Typically, the more batteries you have means the more run time and or power you will have.
Batteries can be placed either on the inside or the outside of the mower, it depends on the brand of which mower you get. We preferred the electric mowers with batteries on the outside because they are extremely easy to swap out.
Battery-powered mowers also have the same maneuverability as a gasoline-powered lawnmower, except they’re a bit more environmentally friendly. Battery-powered mowers are a bit more expensive as well but for a good reason. These mowers will last much longer than a gasoline mower and they are much cleaner than a gasoline mower as well. Let’s get to some of the benefits of an electric lawnmower.
What Are The Benefits Of An Electric Lawn Mower?
When it comes to the benefits of having an electric lawn mower, there are many in comparison to a gasoline-powered lawnmower. Below is a list of benefits that come with an electric lawnmower.
- No Gasoline – No longer will you have to deal with the hassle of filling up your lawnmower with gas.
- Cleanliness – Electric lawn mowers are a lot cleaner than a gasoline mower since there isn’t any gasoline being used, therefore you won’t have buildups of oil or gasoline spillage at all.
- Storage – Electric lawn mowers are able to fold down into the size of the mower base so you can store them in just about any corner.
- Noise – Electric lawnmowers typically operate between 72-76 decibels compared to gasoline lawnmowers which are loud and operate between 95-102 decibels.
- Terrain – Electric mowers can mow in any terrain that a gasoline mower can because they have the same rugged-style wheels.
How Long Do Electric Lawn Mower Batteries Last?
When it comes to battery power, one battery in an electric lawn mower typically lasts up to 40 minutes. It’s very common for people to get two batteries when buying an electric lawn mower considering it’s better to be safe than sorry.
You’re obviously not going to use an electric lawnmower to mow very large lawns so therefore 1-2 batteries are really all you would need. Most people who buy these types of lawnmowers have smaller lawns in town and don’t want to deal with the hassle of having to go get gas just to fill it up for the day.
Top 5 Best Electric Lawn Mowers
Below is our list of the top 5 best electric lawn mowers on the market. These mowers performed beyond our expectations and all five of them were very easy to clean up afterward as well.
1. EGO Electric Mower
This was our favorite electric mower which is why we placed it as number one on our list of the best electric lawnmowers!
Providing the torque of gas without the noise, fuss or fumes, the EGO 21 in. 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Battery Push Mower mows up to two miles on a single charge. It delivers long-lasting power, rapid charging, and durability in all weather conditions.
The advanced EGO POWER+ 56-Volt ARC-Lithium battery uses industry-leading technology to deliver a long run time and is compatible with all EGO POWER+ products.
- Up to 45 minutes of cut time with the included battery.
- 40-minute charge time with included charger.
- 5.0 Ah 56-Volt battery is compatible with all EGO POWER+ products and chargers.
- 21 in. cut capacity.
- Weather-resistant construction.
- 3-in-1: mulching/bagging/side discharge.
- Folds easily for compact storage.
- Push-button start.
- Single-lever, 6-position deck-height adjustment.
- Easy-access 2-bushel grass collection bag.
- LED headlights for optimal visibility.
- 5-year limited warranty.
Save time, finish faster, and make your job easier with Toro 22 in. Recycler Push 60-Volts Max Battery Mower. Raise your expectations with this easy-to-start, easy-to-use, and easy-to-maintain mower.
You can now mow more in less time by cutting a wider path with each pass with the extra-long 22-inch blade. It is ready when you are, as it starts the first time, every time.
Made to last, it has rugged durability with a steel deck, not plastic. Get a healthy-looking lawn by returning nutrient-rich clippings to the soil. Plus, save storage space with its space-saving design. With 324 Watt-hours, the L324 battery can cut up to 1/3 of an acre. The L324 smart battery has intelligent software that maximizes run time and performance.
- Mow more in less time, save time, finish faster and make your job easier cut a wider path with each pass with an extra-long 22 in. blade.
- This mower starts the first time, every time. Reliable starting and low maintenance with battery power. The L324 60-Volts battery has intelligent battery software to maximize run time and power.
- Cut up to 1/3 of an acre on a full charge with the included L324 battery (60-Volt MAX, 6.0 Amp-hour, 324 Watt-hour) and charger.
- Get more power and longer life out of your mower, thanks to a high-performance brushless DC motor with less friction, lower maintenance, and less wear than a brushed motor.
- This mower is made to last with its rugged durability in the steel deck, not plastic, the steel deck adds durability and productivity.
3. DeWALT (Most Popular)
The DeWALT 2x 20-volt max exceeded our expectations. Ever since we added this mower to our list of the best electric lawn mowers, it has gotten the most views out of any others.
The 2x 20-Volt MAX DEWALT 3-in-1 Cordless Lawn Mower is powered by (2) 20-Volt MAX batteries to deliver 2x the voltage. The high-output brushless motor delivers powerful performance and increases torque in high overgrowth.
The lawn mower’s 3-in-1 capability allows for mulching, bagging, or rear clipping discharge. It is perfect for properties up to 1/4 acre.
For optimal performance, the battery-powered lawn mower can be paired with high capacity 20-Volt MAX DEWALT batteries or FLEXVOLT (R) batteries for extended runtime and maximum compatibility across DEWALT battery systems.
This cordless lawnmower is designed to help you get the job done with a 20 in. metal deck, quick and easy single lever height adjustment, and folding handles for compact upright storage.
- Powerful brushless motor and (2) 20-Volt MAX batteries working simultaneously for high power output.
- 3-in-1: mulching, bagging, and rear discharging.
- Heavy-duty 20 in. metal deck.
- Single lever height adjusts ranging from 1.5 in. – 3.4 in.
- Folding handle and lift handles for easy transport and compact storage.
- For maintenance of commercial and residential properties.
- Ideal for cutting yards of up to 1/4 acre.
- Ideal for pairing with high capacity 20-Volt MAX DEWALT batteries or 60-Volt FLEXVOLT DEWALT Batteries for extended run time.
4. Snapper XD
Easily get your mowing started with Snapper XD’s push-button start. This walk mower features a durable steel 3-in-1 mowing deck, allowing you to mulch, side discharge or bag for up to 45-minutes with the included OEM Branded 2 Ah battery.
Effortlessly choose from 7 different cutting heights with a convenient single-level height-of-cut adjustment. This quiet walk mower requires less maintenance and has vertical storage capabilities, saving you valuable time and space in your garage or shed.
- Up to 45-minutes run time with fully charged 2 Ah battery.
- Works with OEM branded 82-Volt lithium-ion batteries.
- 19 in. mowing deck with a 3-in-1 design.
- Mulch, bag or side discharge grass clippings easily.
- Load sensing technology.
- Power adjusts to meet the demands of the cutting blades.
- Push-button start and a single-lever, 7-position height-of-cut adjustment.
- Compact vertical storage capability saves room in a garage or shred.
RYOBI redefines cordless lawn mowers with the second generation 20 in. 40-Volt Brushless Mower. Featuring gas-like power, this mower has an intelligent brushless motor with load-sensing technology, allowing it to detect and deliver the power needed to maintain an optimal cutting speed. This means the mower will not get bogged down in overgrown patches of grass and, when additional power is not needed, increases run time by saving the battery.
The RYOBI Brushless Mower has a large 20 in. cutting deck, and with its mulching or bagging option, you can get the job done quickly and just the way you like. With its push-button start and 7-position single point height adjustment, you’re ready to begin in seconds without having to mess with gas and oil.
- Works with all RYOBI 40-Volt lithium-ion tools and batteries.
- A powerful brushless motor delivers gas-like power.
- Load sensing technology – maximizes power and efficiency.
- Includes 40-Volt 5.0Ah high-capacity battery for extended run time.
- 7-position, single-point height adjustment from 1.5 in. to 4 in.
- 2-in-1 mulching and bagging capabilities.
- Instant, hassle-free push-button start.
- High-intensity LED headlights.
- Carrying handles for user convenience.
- Onboard battery compartment for an additional battery.
- Foldable quick-release handle for compact storage.
How To Maintain An Electric Lawn Mower
A well-maintained lawn mower not only works better, but it also lasts a lot longer as well. All it takes is a little bit of work each year and you’ll be saving a ton of time and money in the long-run.
Not many of us have the disposable income to throw at maintaining a lawnmower each year. Since you’ll be able to use the same mower year after year, you’ll actually be helping the environment as well.
Electric Lawn Mower Maintenance
One of the best things you can do to keep your electric lawnmower in great shape is to keep it clean. Electric lawnmowers don’t need a deep cleaning after every use as a gas mower would need.
Keeping Things Clean
At a minimum, you should at least wipe-down your electric lawn mower after each use. This means you should use a moist rag or towel and remove any junk from the undercarriage, vents, and blades.
You also want to make sure you don’t cut yourself either. Be sure to wear a thick pair of gloves while wiping your lawnmower’s blades. Either way, it’s important to keep things clean at a minimum, this way moisture won’t be able to erode important pieces of the mower.
Now let’s talk about some mechanicals. A small amount of lubrication can do wonders for any moving parts on your mower. This not only keeps them moving freely but also gives an extra layer of protection against the corrosive effects of humidity.
Before each use, you should make sure that all bolts and nuts are securely in place. Batteries and all the cords should be fastened correctly. This is especially important when you are charging your electric lawnmower.
It’s recommended to give your lawnmower a tune-up before each season as well, which for most environments is spring.
As per the user manual check the belts and air filters as well, the latter of these might not need a full replacement, but rather just a quick cleaning.
You should also spend this time making sure that the most important part of your electric mower, the blade, is sharp enough for the season ahead. While a full replacement might be needed, some hardware stores do offer a sharpening service.
If you’re tired of always having to get gas to fill up your lawnmower, your next best option is an electric lawn mower.
We tested each of these best electric lawn mowers on our list and we stand by each one 100%. Not only does it make mowing your lawn easier, but it also makes the process cleaner as well. No oil, no gas, no tough maintenance, just charge the battery and mow your lawn.
If you have any questions or concerns about our list of the best electric lawnmowers, feel free to leave us a comment below. Or, if you would rather contact us directly, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email in a timely manner.
Do you get sick of going to the gas station to get gas just to mow your lawn? Do you feel like you could benefit from an electric lawn mower? Which brand of mowers do you prefer (other than John Deere)?