Last updated on January 14th, 2020
Do you have sensitive teeth? Does it sometimes hurt to brush? Today you’re going to learn all about some of the best electric toothbrushes for sensitive teeth! Then you’ll have a better idea as to what type of electric toothbrush you can get that won’t hurt in the process.
Have you ever brushed your teeth with a manual toothbrush and still felt like your teeth weren’t very clean? Maybe you brush and brush and brush but you still feel plaque and grittiness in the corners of your teeth. Either way, that feeling is absolutely gross.
If you’re like me, you sit there for minutes on end and scrub away at one spot just to make sure that grittiness goes away. This can get annoying, especially if you’re constantly doing it day and night.
This is why you need an electric toothbrush! I’ll tell ya, I was skeptical about them for the longest time until my dental hygienist talked me to finally buy one.
My teeth are sensitive and always have been and WOW, these electric toothbrushes are definitely worth it. I bought the Philips Sonicare 4100 and this brush is by far the best toothbrush I have ever had in my life.
Let me tell you, these electric toothbrushes are phenomenal! They vibrate so fast that they actually create microbubbles that move super fast between the spaces of your teeth. This means that you are getting a much deeper clean than you get from a traditional manual brush.
What Is An Electric Toothbrush?
An electric toothbrush is a toothbrush that makes rapid vibrating or oscillating motions. These vibrating and oscillating motions move so fast that they create tiny bubbles that zip through the spaces between your teeth.
These tiny bubbles that race between your teeth are able to clean in every crevice of your gums and corners of your teeth that a traditional brush would not be able to reach.
In addition, the vibrating or oscillating motion helps to brush away all the plaque in a more aggressive manner than a traditional brush would as well.
Electric toothbrushes are wonderful! Not only do they get your teeth clean, but they also make your teeth and your mouth feel like you just got out of the dentist. Your teeth feel squeaky clean and your gums feel extremely healthy! This is why they’re great for your overall oral health.
We’re human, we love sugary foods and beverages which creates loads of plaque that builds on your teeth. The oscillating or vibrating motion of these brushes will make sure all that plaque build-up is brushed away. Whereas a traditional brush may not be able to reach some areas.
Overall, your oral health will be greatly improved the sooner you start using an electric toothbrush.
Are Electric Toothbrushes Safe?
The short answer is yes. Adults all around the world are using electric toothbrushes on a daily basis and have never run into any major issues as far as safety is concerned.
Always be careful while you brush your teeth with an electric brush though. Some people tend to brush too hard with an electric toothbrush as they would with a traditional brush. This can sometimes cause you to “over-brush” and cause your gums to bleed or crack.
Can Electric Toothbrushes Get Wet?
Electric toothbrushes can for sure get wet. You can rinse them under tap water for cleaning with no problems whatsoever.
The electronics of an electronic toothbrush are sealed inside the brush handle. This means that no water should be able to get inside.
Some people like to brush their teeth in the shower and it’s okay to do this. However, if you’re taking a bath and brushing your teeth, you should never submerge the toothbrush underwater.
Can You Share An Electric Toothbrush?
Not many people usually share a toothbrush. However, there are some people who do, but it’s not advised. Sharing a toothbrush could result in poor oral hygiene.
You might not know this but, bacteria can and do live on the bristles of your toothbrush. These germs can have negative consequences on your oral health if the brush is shared long-term.
What you CAN share is the brush handle though! Since the brush heads are interchangeable, the person you’re sharing a brush with can get their own brush heads to use on the same handle. This would be the safer route to take if you’re sharing with someone.
How Long Do Electric Toothbrushes last?
From the research we conducted and the few dentists we’ve talked to, electric toothbrushes can actually live quite a long time! The average life span on a good-quality electric toothbrush is 2-4 years.
Most manufacturers offer a 2-year warranty if the brush ends up failing. On a side note, we know for a fact that electric brushes can last a lot longer than 2-4 years though. We actually know a few people who have had their brushes for 5 years and they still work great!
When you buy a good quality electric toothbrush, you’re making an overall investment into your oral health. This is pretty important since we only have one mouth, therefore it’s best to not go cheap and get something that has a good brand name and good quality.
Do Electric Toothbrushes Whiten Teeth?
Electric toothbrushes do not whiten teeth themselves. However, the fast vibrating motions can greatly help with removing stains.
The whiteness of your teeth depends on many different factors. Some of these factors include how often you brush, your overall diet, and even your toothpaste selection.
Toothbrushes weren’t made to whiten teeth. If you’re looking to whiten your teeth, take a look at our review on the best teeth whitening kits. Teeth whitening kits were made specifically for this purpose.
Should I Get An Oscillating Brush Or A Vibrating Brush?
This is a personal preference. Some people prefer oscillating and others prefer vibrating. As far as big name brands are concerned, Sonicare electric toothbrushes are generally vibrating brushes. On the flip side, Oral-B electric toothbrushes are generally oscillating.
It’s really up to the user as to which one they prefer. Our recommendation, you might want to stick with a vibrating brush as they have been proven to provide a deeper clean than an oscillating brush. Especially if plaque build-up is your biggest concern.
Top 5 Best Electric Toothbrushes For Sensitive Teeth
1. Philips Sonicare DiamondClean
The DiamondClean Smart by Sonicare was out all-time favorite and is by far one of the absolute best electric toothbrushes for sensitive teeth.
The DiamondClean Smart is Sonicare’s best electronic toothbrush, for complete care. Four high-performance brush heads let you focus on all areas of your oral health, and their Smart Sensor technology gives you personalized feedback and coaching. (BEST high-performance brush)
- Philips Sonicare’s best ever toothbrush for the most exceptional clean and complete care.
- Removes up to 10x more plaque and improves gum health up to 7x in just 2 weeks (in gum health mode vs. a manual toothbrush).
- Removes up to 100% more stains in just 3 days (in white+ mode vs. a manual toothbrush).
- 4 different smart brush head types automatically pair with the appropriate brushing mode and smart sensors provide real-time feedback.
2. Philips Sonicare 5100
The Philips Sonicare 5100, with unique sonic technology, sweeps away plaque giving you an amazingly effective, yet gentle clean. Sonicare’s built-in pressure sensor lets you know if you’re brushing too hard, to help protect your teeth and gums.
- Customize your experience with the three different modes: Clean, White and Gum Care.
- Pressure sensor protects teeth and gums from excess brushing pressure while improving your gum health up to 100% more vs a manual toothbrush.
- Always know when to replace your brush head for an effective clean with Brush Sync replacement reminder.
- Quad pacer and Smart timer help to ensure dental professional recommended 2 minute brushing time and encourages brushing in each quadrant of the mouth.
- Batter charge indicator light lets you know when to recharge; 2-week battery life. Speed: Up to 62000 brush movement/min.
3. Oral-B Pro 5000
Discover the next level of oral care innovation with the Oral-B PRO 5000 SmartSeries with Bluetooth Connectivity electric rechargeable toothbrush. Download the Oral-B app on your smartphone and connect with Bluetooth technology to get real-time feedback on your brushing habits.
- Includes Handle, Charger, Brush Head, Refill Stand & Travel Case.
- Bluetooth communication provides real-time feedback on brushing habits.
- Round brush head for a tooth-by-tooth clean, with specially engineered.
- Visible Pressure Sensor lights up to alert you when you are brushing too hard.
- Electric Toothbrush featuring 5 cleaning modes allow you to brush based on your needs. Removes 100% more plaque along the gum line than a regular manual toothbrush.
4. Oral-B Pro 7000
Discover the next level of oral care innovation with the Oral-B PRO 7000 SmartSeries with Bluetooth Connectivity electric rechargeable toothbrush. Download the Oral-B app on your smartphone and connect with Bluetooth technology to get real-time feedback on your brushing habits.
- Real-time feedback with the Oral-B app focuses brushing on your most important areas, tracks habits over time, motivates with helpful oral care tips, and senses when you brush too hard.
- Made of different high-tech materials like silicon. Cross Action round brush head with perfectly angled bristles for a precise clean.
- Clinically proven superior 3D cleaning oscillates, rotates and pulsates to break up and remove up to 100% more plaque than a regular manual toothbrush.
- Rechargeable with 6 modes: Daily Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive, Whitening, Deep Clean, and Tongue Cleaner.
- Speed – Up to 800 brush movements per second, Features – Specially designed seals and gaskets keep the Oral-B 7000 water tolerant to 500 millibars of pressure and it removes 300% more plaque along the gum line than a regular manual brush.
5. Philips Sonicare 4100
The Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100, with unique sonic technology, sweeps away plaque giving you an amazingly effective, yet gentle clean. Sonicare’s built-in pressure sensor lets you know if you’re brushing too hard, to help protect your teeth and gums.
BrushSync tracks how long you’ve been using your brush head for, and how hard you’ve been brushing. When it’s time to replace the brush head, a light on your handle lets you know.
The 4100 is a simple but effective electric toothbrush that will last a long time and won’t hurt your teeth. Sonicare makes some very good electric toothbrushes, the 4100 is by far one of the best electric toothbrushes for sensitive teeth.
- Removes up to 7x more plaque vs. a manual toothbrush.
- The pressure sensor protects teeth and gums from excess brushing pressure.
- Always know when to replace your brush head for an effective clean with BrushSync replacement reminder.
- Quadpacer and Smart timer ensures a 2 minute brushing time and encourages brushing in each quadrant of the mouth.
- Battery charge indicator light lets you know when to recharge.
- Toothbrush has a 2-week battery life.
Overall, we tested many different electric toothbrushes and loved them all. As far as cleanliness goes and cleaning plaque build-up, we generally felt like the Sonicare brushes made our teeth and mouths feel the cleanest.
If you have any questions about any of these brushes, feel free to leave us a comment below. Or, if you don’t feel comfortable leave a comment, feel free to contact us directly and use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email shortly.
Do you have sensitive teeth? Have you used an electric toothbrush before? What was your experience?