Last updated on January 7th, 2020
Today we’re going to show you the top 5 best gaming laptops for the money!
Are you a hardcore gamer? Do you game in the comfort of your own home, or maybe even at Starbucks? Either way, a good quality gaming laptop is a great asset to take your favorite games anywhere! Gaming laptops are becoming widely popular these days for that reason alone. People want to be able to take their gaming with them wherever they go. Can’t exactly do that with a giant, clunky desktop!
Let’s get into some technical stuff. If you’re a gamer I’m sure you know that the specs of a gaming laptop can vary enormously. I’m sure you’re also aware that some gaming laptops are tougher to upgrade than others as well.
Note: I think they should all be easy to upgrade since you want your gaming laptop to always be running at top performance. Because honestly, you really need the highest level of performance at all times to meet your needs of the PC gaming experience.
In addition, having an optimal screen size and phenomenal GPU for the best visuals and framerates needs to be top-notch as well. As far as other performance stats, you also want the best of the best when it comes to CPU and RAM as well. You want your laptop to be able to perform and handle anything you throw at it (metaphorically).
Overall, when shopping for a new gaming laptop, whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner, you want something that you’re going to love for a while and something that will suit your needs as well.
When it comes to gaming laptops, you’re making a considerable investment, so you should get only what you absolutely want, so you can enjoy it for years. In addition, you want to be able to play your favorite games with the highest performance as possible!
Let’s get to the actual laptops, shall we? We did the research so you don’t have to. We reviewed and listed the Top 5 Best Gaming Laptops! These laptops were chosen based on specs, overall popularity, top reviews, overall cost, and much more!
General Gaming Laptop Tips
- Take Your Battery Charger Wherever You Go: PC gaming uses a ton of power and energy. You don’t want to be at a gaming party and run out of battery in the middle of a game. Take your charger with you whenever you take your gaming laptop somewhere.
- Read The Minimum Hardware Requirement For Games You Buy: I’ve made this mistake before. You don’t want to buy a new game, get home, and realize that the game requires some technical specs that your current laptop doesn’t meet. Know your laptop and it’s specs and read hardware requirements before making the purchase.
- Buy A Gaming Laptop With A Removable Battery: You don’t want your battery to go dead and not be able to change it out by yourself. But a gaming laptop with a removable battery.
- Close All Other Applications Before Playing A Game: This is a given. You don’t want to be in the middle of kicking ass in a competitive Call of Duty match and your PC crashes all of the sudden because of an overload! Close all other applications before you start playing a game.
Top 5 Best Gaming Laptops For The Money
1. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S
Armed with the power and versatility to slice through both AAA games and professional work, the ROG Zephyrus S redefines the bounds of Windows 10 ultra-slim gaming. Its innovative cooling design unleashes the true potential of the latest 9th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU, allowing them to take full advantage of the ultra-responsive 240Hz/3ms PANTONE Validated display.
Its adaptability shines with G-SYNC and Optimus modes, giving you the freedom to shift between exceptionally smooth gameplay and better battery life on the go.
- 15.6-inch display.
- This laptop is 42% lighter and 25% thinner than most gaming laptops on the market.
- The ASUS ROG has a magnesium-alloy chassis and a super-thin bezel.
- Soft-touch paint covers the palm rest, minimizing smudges and fingerprints with a thin coating that helps sustain the sleek styling and subtle sparkle through to the end of the day.
- Equipped with Windows 10 Home.
- Has a 9th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU.
- Has a 1TB SSD and 32GB of memory.
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20-series GPU.
- This laptop has intelligent self-cleaning fans.
- It has a smooth 240Hz refresh rate and a 3ms response time.
2. Asus ROG Strix Scar III
Aim for esports excellence with the ROG Strix SCAR III, engineered to compete at the top tier of Windows 10 Pro gaming.
The Intelligent Cooling unleashes the raw power of the 9th Gen Intel Core CPU and GeForce RTX graphics, while the world’s fastest 240Hz/3ms laptop display lets you play at the speed of pro gaming.
Jump into multiplayer matches anywhere with stronger RangeBoost Wi-Fi, and show off your personality with the wraparound Aura Sync light bar, and gain privacy for personal data with the new ROG Keystone.
- 15.6-inch display.
- Windows 10 Home.
- 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750h Processor.
- Intelligent Dual-Fan architecture.
- 16Gb RAM with a 1TB SSD.
- This laptop honestly has too many goodies to list.
3. Acer Predator Helios 700
The Helios 700 is unlike anything we have seen in any of the other gaming laptops we got to test.
The RGB-lit HyperDrift keyboard slides out, opening the path to greater performance and direct access to our custom-engineered cooling technology. But that’s not all. The WASD keys are truly unique and will change how you play with the keyboard and mouse.
With the keyboard slid out, Acer’s 4th Gen AeroBlade 3D Fans pull air directly from through the top vents. Fair warning: they’re fast, they’re powerful and they deliver. Add on some additional robust cooling features, tucked away behind durable Corning Gorilla Glass, and you’ll see what this laptop is truly capable of.
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750h 6-Core Processor (Up to 4. 5GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit.
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 graphics with 8 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM.
- 17.3″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display with NVIDIA G-SYNC technology, 144Hz refresh rate, 16:9 aspect ratio.
- 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M. 2 slots | 1 slot open for easy upgrades) & 1 – Available hard drive bay.
- Per-key RGB backlit Keyboard | LAN: Killer Gaming Network E3000 | wireless: Killer Double shot Pro wireless-ax 1650 802. 11AC | two-fan cooling System featuring two 4th Gen AeroBlade 3D fans.
4. Acer Predator Triton 700
Get your game on, and take it anywhere with you! This laptop is designed for those with a need for speed, the Predator Triton 700 is no joke when it comes to serious gaming and epic performance, the surprise is the thin form with a chassis that measures just 0.74 inches. This frost-forged beast of a machine utilizes a powerful 7th Gen Intel Core i7 processor with NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics to put you in total command of the battlefield.
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor (Up to 3.8GHz).
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM.
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display.
- 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory & 512GB PCIe SSD in RAID 0 configuration.
- Killer Double Shot Pro Wireless-AC 1535 802.11ac… WiFi.
- Killer Ethernet E2500 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN.
- Customizable Mechanical RGB Backlit Keyboard & Dual All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fans with 5 Heat Pipes.
- 3-cell Li-ion Battery (4670 mAh), up to 5-hours battery life.
5. MSI GE75 Raider
The MSI GE75 Raider had the overall best sound quality we have ever heard in a gaming laptop.
Feel every engine sound wave roaring past with upgraded giant speakers and world-class Dynaudio sound system. The innovated design with 5x bigger chamber space generates top-notch auditory sensation. The oversize 2 speakers + 2 woofers create a realistic, fulfilling sound, and immersion.
- Up to Latest 9th Gen Intel Core i9 processor.
- Windows 10 Home / Windows 10 Pro.
- Latest GeForce RTX 2080/ 2070/ 2060 graphics.
- 17.3″ Full HD (1920×1080).
- Thin bezel design.
- Uniquely crafted 3D Dragon Spine design with red diamond cut.
- Exclusive MSI Cooler Boost 5 cooling with dedicated 2 fans and up to 8 copper heat pipes.
- Per-Key RGB gaming keyboard by SteelSeries with Silver-Lining Print.
- Dragon Center with exclusive gaming mode.
- MSI App Player for seamless gaming experience between mobile and PC.
- 5X bigger upgraded Giant Speakers and sound by Dynaudio.
- High-Resolution Audio ready.
Gaming Laptop Buying Tips
Consider The Screen Sizes
When you’re in the market for buying a new gaming laptop, one of the biggest aspects you’ll want to consider in the screen size. The size of the screen can literally make or break your gaming experience. Shop around and decide on which size is best for you and your preferences.
Considering gaming laptops are expected to display jaw-dropping graphics, it’s most important to choose a gaming laptop with a screen that POPS to your visual eye. In addition, you’ll also want to consider a screen that works best for the genre of games that you play.
Here are some various screen sizes for gaming laptops.
- 14-inch gaming laptop screens have much lower resolutions but on the flip side, they’re GREAT for a beginner who is just starting to get into the world of PC gaming. These screens might be a little less intense compared to the larger ones, but they’ll definitely do the job.
- 15-inch gaming laptop screens are what most people have these days. Actually, many of them are actually 15.6-inches to be exact. These screens can do just about everything and are widely used by the majority of PC gamers.
- 17-inch gaming laptop screens are pretty great if you’re the type who likes to feel like you’re “in the game” itself. Beware though, these laptops are awkward as hell when you want to take it somewhere. The good thing is that you will get some of the best clarity from a screen this size.
Pay Attention To The Video Card
When it comes to video cards, you want to make sure you’re getting a gaming laptop with the best GPU on the market. The GPU or “graphics processing unit” is the component that handles your laptop’s image rendering while playing your favorite games. Additionally, having a good GPU is honestly one of the most important factors in your ability to enjoy PC gaming.
When you’re shopping for a gaming laptop, look for the chipset series as well as the VRAM and make certain that both will be good enough for the genre of games that you’re most likely to play.
Budget Prices For Gaming Laptops
When you’re shopping for a gaming laptop, there’s going to be two main pricing variants that will stand out to you. The first price variant will be the gaming laptops in the $600 to $1,000 range. In this range, you’re going to find gaming laptops that are still very good to buy, but they won’t be as luxurious as the higher quality gaming laptops.
I would only use gaming laptops in this range for lightweight gaming and not for anything like first-person shooters or anything like that. If you’re planning on playing Call of Duty or any other games in that genre, you’ll want to spend a bit more money and get something with 4K resolution and higher quality components.
Luxury Prices For Gaming Laptops
Now if you’re shopping for a top-of-the-line gaming laptop, you can expect to spend anywhere from $1,000 up to $5,000 all day long. These gaming laptops will handle anything. You’ll be able to play Call of Duty with the same performance you’d get from a modern gaming console it’ll be that smooth. Shit, you might even have better picture quality than people do on a console.
With these expensive gaming laptops, you’ll also see some of the best GPU’s and CPU’s on the market! Additionally, you’ll also see premium features like larger batteries, bigger screens, and other cool things like light-up keyboards and led’s around the edges. All this extra “fluff” helps to “set the mood” when you dive into your favorite game.
If you’re a hardcore gamer, you’re going to want to buy a gaming laptop in the luxury price range.
Overall, we had a ton of fun with this review. Spending the time that we did in Best Buy just playing with all of these laptops was a blast. We ended up learning a lot about gaming laptops that we never knew before!
If you have any questions about any of these gaming laptops, feel free to leave us a comment below. Or, if you prefer messaging us directly, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email in a timely manner.
Do you play a lot of pc games? What kind of gaming laptop do you currently have?