Last updated on January 12th, 2020
When it comes to protecting your home, a good quality security system is a must-have. In today’s day in age, you don’t want to go cheap when it comes to protecting your home. Especially if you’re the type of family that has a lot of expensive assets. Today we’re going to show you the best outdoor security camera systems.
We spent an entire week doing in-depth research and testing on various different security camera systems. We learned a lot about what it takes to protect your home as well as the best types of cameras to use.
You wouldn’t think much of it, but there’s actually quite a lot to consider when you’re in the market for an outdoor security camera system. Ultimately, you’ll want to make a list of what’s most important to you, and which doors are the most vulnerable in case of a break-in.
In addition, you’ll also want to think about the different access points of where your valuables are located in your house. What I mean by this is, let’s say you have a safe in your basement. You’ll want to make sure that one of your cameras is positioned at the nearest door or access point to your basement where that safe is located.
As you can see, there really is a lot to consider when buying a security camera system for your home. That’s why today we’re going to help you with all that.
Why Do I Need Security Cameras?
Let me start off by saying this, you don’t absolutely “NEED” a security camera system. Security camera systems are purely optional. However, if you’re more on the wealthy side of the spectrum, you’re going to want to look into a security camera system.
If you’re a family that lives in a nice house, owns nicer vehicles, has a boat, and other toys such as ATV’s or anything like that, you’re going to want a security camera system. It’s always better to be safe rather than sorry. What’s great about most of these security camera systems is that some are connected to your phone. If you’re away from home, you can have it dial the police if your cameras detect any suspicious activity at your house.
A security camera system will protect not only your assets but your kids as well. Think about when you sleep at night, all it takes is for one bad person to know about your worthy toys in the garage to break in and take them. You don’t want this kind of thing to happen when you and your kids are sleeping.
People who own guns or even precious metals such as gold will want to invest in a security system as well. For the people who need to protect super valuable assets, you might also want to think about a more secure system in addition to security cameras as well. Today you can get systems that alarm you on your phone when you’re on vacation and someone goes onto your front doorstep.
Protecting your livelihood is no joke. Especially not in the current state of the US economy. Criminals are always looking for a way to make a quick buck. Protect yourself, your family, and your assets from ever being vulnerable to a break-in.
Can’t I Just Pay For A Security Service Like ADT?
Many companies like ADT Security offer home security packages that secure home to the fullest. You won’t hear me talk negatively about these guys because it wouldn’t be “honest” of me to do that. ADT is a great company as well as all the other companies that offer security services for your home.
However, there are a few big downfalls to hiring a security company to protect your company that you might not even think about. Some of which are a pretty big deal especially if what you’re trying to protect is very important to you.
Downfalls To Hiring A Security Company
Cost – When you hire a security company to secure your home, you’re going to be paying a monthly fee for the service. That monthly fee adds up over time. It can actually be quite costly in the long run. If you just buy your own security system and set it up the one time, you’ll never have to pay for a monthly service. You just pay for the equipment and the cameras and that’s it.
Server Downtime – This is one aspect that most people don’t think about. When you hire a security company, where do you think your camera feeds are going? They are wirelessly connected to the company’s servers in another state somewhere.
Either way, you have no idea where this location is. This can be bad if the company has an internal error someday and causes their entire system to go down. Anything can happen and you’re basically putting the value of your assets in the hands of a company that you don’t know much about.
In addition, you don’t own the equipment that they let you use. If you compare this to owning your own camera system, you’ll realize that it’s much more beneficial to owning your own security camera system and monitoring by yourself.
Support – Have you ever called a support number for an issue you had with a product or service? I’m sure you had to wait a while just to talk to some too huh? Well, that’s another downfall to hiring a security company. You can’t always trust the support agents will be able to help you. They aren’t with you at that moment to help you physically. Whereas when you have your own security cameras, you’ll be able to fix anything yourself because you’ll know everything there is to know about your cameras.
Top 5 Best Outdoor Security Camera Systems For Home Use
Are you finally ready to see our picks for the best outdoor security camera systems? Keep in mind that these top five were chosen out of twelve different security camera systems that we tested. Some will be more expensive than others and some will have more features than others as well.
1. Arlo Ultra Security Camera System
Arlo Ultra 4K wire-free security camera delivers ultimate peace of mind with advanced video and audio quality, a wider angle view, color night vision, and clear two-way conversations. Protection Perfected Cutting-edge protection with advanced video & audio quality. 4K & HDR* Zoom in to see sharp details with Arlo Ultra’s 4K & HDR advanced image quality technology. Higher-resolution clip storage requires an add-on subscription.
See what’s lurking with color night vision allowing you to see the video in color rather than traditional black and white Integrated spotlight. Light up the night and ward off unwelcome guests using Arlo Ultra’s integrated spotlight 18-degree view. See more with a wider angle lens that has auto image correction reducing the fisheye effect.
- Wire-free and weather-resistant design works with Alexa and includes 1 year of Arlo Smart Premier service with rolling 3-day cloud recordings (up to 1 camera).
- Zoom in to see sharp details with Arlo Ultra’s 4K & HDR advanced image quality technology.
- See what’s lurking with color night vision allowing you to see the video in color rather than traditional black and white.
- Light up the night and ward off unwelcome guests using Arlo Ultra’s integrated spotlight.
- See more with a wider angle lens that has auto image correction reducing the fisheye effect.
- Listen and speak to visitors with crystal clear, full 2-way audio that reduces wind and noise.
- Auto-focus on moving objects with clarity and detail.
- Image Sensor: 8 megapixels, Operating Temperature: -20 to 60 degree Celsius, Charge time to Full (via charger accessory): 2.9 hrs.
2. Arlo Pro Security Camera System
Arlo Pro is a 100% wire-free indoor/outdoor security camera with rechargeable batteries and audio and can be added to any Arlo base station system. This camera system includes rechargeable batteries, motion, and sound-activated alerts, 2-way audio, a 100+ decibel siren, and 7 days of free cloud HD video recordings. Arlo covers every angle to help keep you safe and protected.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Free of power cords and wiring hassles.
- The Arlo Pro cameras are weather-resistant so you can place them anywhere indoors and out.
- 2440mAh rechargeable battery. Battery life varies based on settings, usage, and temperature. High-speed Internet connection – minimum 1Mbps upstream recommended.
- The built-in mic and speaker enable push-to-talk capability, so you can listen in and talk back.
- Arlo Pro comes with rolling 7-day cloud recordings. Live stream or view recorded video and audio for up to 7 days.
- Works with Amazon Alexa/Echo Show/Fire TV/Google Assistant – View your live video with a simple voice command. Works with IFTTT, Samsung SmartThings, and more.
- Arlo Smart adds powerful intelligence to your Arlo cameras. Customize alerts to detect people, specific zones, and contact emergency responders right from your smartphone’s lock screen (optional service, includes 1-month trial).Wireless range:300+ feet line of sight.
3. Canavis Wireless Security System
All CANAVIS security systems come with durable metal IP-67 cameras engineered to perform in severe environmental conditions. CANAVIS wireless surveillance camera system features a large 4-millimeter lens and wide 75-degree viewing angle, coupled with a 3 array IR-LED system for night vision delivering exceptional clarity at distances up to 65 feet.
The camera’s infrared mode is automatically activated in low lighting conditions. It can clearly monitor everything even at night. Any intruder unfortunate enough to cross paths with CANAVIS video security system will have their every move illuminated and captured in crystal clear detail.
- There are two antennas and a high-performance built-in router in the NVR system, and there is an antenna with the camera, you can change it to any angle. The NVR ensures a reliable and stable wireless connection with cameras for up to 1000ft in an open area and up to 350ft if there are any obstacles.
- This is one of Canavis’s best outdoor security camera systems on the market.
4. Blink XT2 Security Camera System (Best Option)
Get peace of mind with this versatile indoor/outdoor wire-free camera that features 2-year battery life, 2-way audio, customizable motion detection, and live-view recording.
With 2-way audio, Blink XT2 lets you be there from anywhere. Open up a 2-way conversation using your smartphone. Night vision and motion detection help you keep an eye on your home 24/7.
Blink XT2 can be placed or mounted (using the included ball mount) inside or outside for complete coverage and peace of mind.
- 2-year battery life on two AA lithium batteries with a combination of two-way talk, live view, and motion recording. Double the usage of the XT on a single set of batteries when recording video.
- Talk to visitors through the Blink app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Use activity zones to choose where motion is detected so you receive the alerts that matter.
- Keep hundreds of clips stored up to a year with no monthly fees or service contracts required.
- View live-streams, motion clips, or arm and disarm your camera through select Alexa-enabled devices.
- Record and view in up to 1080p HD video during the day and with infrared HD night vision after dark.
- Blink XT2 stands up to the elements. Place or mount it inside or outside for whole-home security.
- No tools, wiring, or professional installation required.
- By far one of the absolute best outdoor security camera systems on our list.
5. LaView ONE Link Security Camera System
- The ONE Link Smart Station connects up to 6 wireless security cameras with a single-button synching process. This makes for a hassle-free setup and streamlined network connection. Plus, when linked with the Smart Station, these outdoor security cameras will be operating on the system’s own secure wireless network.
- These wireless home security cameras come with 5500 mAh rechargeable batteries that feature up to 6-month battery life when connected via the smart station. That’s double the battery life of the average wireless battery powered security camera.
- These wireless security cameras provide you flexible options for storage. They each feature an onboard micro SD slot that supports up to 128GB of easy, free local storage. For expanded and encrypted recording, our affordable Cloud service is the ideal option. Or, you can choose both to ensure the safety and accessibility of the HD video captured by your wireless outdoor security cameras.
- Each wireless outdoor camera is equipped with a built-in mic and speaker for two-way audio. This allows you to keep in contact with loved ones and visitors from anywhere with the free mobile app. If trespassers approach your home, give them a vocal warning to send them running! Plus, advanced noise suppression technology drowns out unwanted background sounds to help you hear what people say into the camera!
- The wireless security cameras in the ONE Link system feature HD 1080p resolution along with a 130° wide viewing angle for enhanced indoor and outdoor coverage. IP65 weatherproofing allows these wireless home security cameras to function in any condition. Plus, 25ft IR night vision and PIR thermal detection keep you aware at all times.
Home Security & Security Camera Ownership Tips
When you buy your own security camera system, you’ll want to keep up on basic maintenance for it as well. Below are some basic tips for making sure your security camera system is top-notch for many years to come.
Clean Often – You’ll want to clean the lenses and housing of your camera on at least a bi-weekly basis. This will ensure that the lens covers on your cameras don’t get gunked up with soot or dried raindrops. It’ll also look nicer when people walk onto your property as well.
Be The Burglar – When you get your camera system set up and dialed in, you’ll want to plan on testing the system. The best way to do this would be to be the burglar and try to break into your own house without being seen by the cameras.
Always Lock Your Home – Even if you’re just going out for a short period of time, never leave your domicile unlocked for intruders.
Show Occupancy – Your home should always appear as if it’s occupied. You never want to leave and give your home the impression that someone isn’t home. This is a dead giveaway to intruders.
It’s important to be able to secure your home, property and other assets. With these security camera systems, you’ll be able to do just that. If you have any questions about any of these camera systems that we tested, send us a message using our contact form on our contact page.