Last updated on January 4th, 2020
If you’ve landed on this page, you’re likely researching the best treadmills for home use. That’s great because that’s all we’re going to talk about in this article! Later on in this article, we’re going to show you our top five best treadmills for home, for people who are serious about their long-term health goals.
We spent an entire day in our local sporting good store testing and reviewing many different top-of-the-line treadmills. Ultimately, it came down to five of them that were absolutely great!
So let’s get started with this article, shall we?
Are you ready to finally hop on the fitness bandwagon and get fit this year? Or maybe you’re already fit and you just want to take a minute or two off of your mile time? Or wait a minute, how would you like to have the ability to climb flights of stairs with no problem at all?
Do any of these scenarios sound attractive to you? If so, get ready because there really is no better cardio exercise than running or jogging. Get ready to get serious and invest in your long-term health!
You might be asking yourself “Can’t I just run or jog outside?” and the answer is yes, you can. Who wouldn’t like to be outside in the fresh air on a nice sunny day, right? However, some people prefer not to work out in public.
That’s not all though. Think about the weather, if it’s a rainy day or the sidewalks are loaded with dog-walkers, you don’t want to be running outside.
If you’re serious about losing weight or just being fit for the long term, you don’t want to miss a day of jogging. That’s why treadmills are great, you just turn it on and go!
Why Should You Buy A Treadmill?
Personally, I can think of more reasons to buy a treadmill than I can count on my fingers.
First of all, when you have a treadmill, you get to work out in the comfort of your own home. You would no longer have to spend gas money, mileage on your car, or waste time just going to the gym.
Another top reason is for the simple fact that treadmills are a do-all cardio machine. I mean, you can’t do cycling on it obviously. But, you can do many types of cardio workouts such as walking, jogging, running, and even sprinting!
I’ll tell you one thing when you commit to a workout that involves walking, jogging, running, and sprinting, you’re pretty much guaranteed to lose weight. You’ll also improve your overall heart health as well. Not to mention you’ll also gain leg muscle, increase endurance, and lose body fat.
Losing body fat is a great feeling, especially when you can see it in the mirror after months of hard work.
Need more incentives for investing in a treadmill? Don’t worry, I got more for you. Think about it this way, you can watch whatever you want on TV while running, work on your laptop, or even talk on your phone.
Here’s the best part, if you’re a busy person with kids, you’ll be able to keep an eye on your kids. How? You won’t be having to go to the gym anymore just to run or jog (think winter time).
Are you starting to warm up to the idea of getting a treadmill? Hell yeah! As mentioned earlier, tested and reviewed the top 5 best treadmills for home use. Before we get to our best treadmills for home use, I want to explain the different types of treadmills first.
What Kinds of Treadmills Are Out There?
Currently, there are two main types of treadmills on the market. Basically, there are manual treadmills and there are motorized treadmills. When I say motorized, I’m talking about an electric motor, not a gas motor.
Manual Treadmills – Manual treadmills kind of suck, they also require more physical work. Manual treadmills cost less as well, but that’s because there’s no motor. The belt on a manual treadmill spins when you start running on it. You are the one that is making the belt spin.
Think of a hamster in it’s running wheel, that’s kind of the same concept. Except a hamster wheel doesn’t have a belt and it’s round.
Manual treadmills are lighter in weight as well, you can move them around pretty much wherever you want. In addition, you can fold most of them as well, for easy storage. Overall, if you’re on a hardcore budget and don’t care much about a little extra work, you might want to get a manual treadmill.
Motorized Treadmill – Now if you want all the bell and whistles, you’ll want a motorized treadmill. Motorized treadmills cost a lot more, but they’re totally worth it and last a lot longer. In addition, you’ll get a lot more value out of a motorized treadmill.
Motorized treadmills have some great features. A lot of them have screens built into them with apps and workout plans built right in! They read all sorts of data that can be valuable to you if you’re trying to track your weight loss journey.
Treadmills with motors are generally heavier though and harder to move. But once they’re in place, there’s no need to move them anyway.
Treadmill Features To Look For
Find the perfect treadmill for yourself can be a daunting task. It’s almost like buying a new car. You would think it would be easy but with today’s technology and all the different features available, it’s actually quite tough.
Below are some of the best features to look for when you’re trying to find the perfect treadmill.
Deck Size – If you’re an average-sized person, the size of the deck won’t really matter as you’ll be fine with using any size. By the way, the deck is the platform that you actually run on. Decks come in many different sizes, some are shorter and some are longer. If you’re a taller person, make sure you get something that has a longer deck length to support the length of your stride with your long legs.
Tech Goodies – When you’re investing a good amount of money on a good treadmill that’ll last you for years to come, you’ll want to take advantage of something that has plenty of technology. Look for treadmills with features such as heart rate monitors, Bluetooth compatibility, WiFi compatibility, shock absorption, and onboard screens. As said earlier, many treadmills these days have a screen with apps built into them, they’re basically “smart treadmills”.
Top 5 Best Treadmills For Home Use
1. NordicTrack 1750
Never be bored again with a variety of workout experiences. With studio sessions to global workouts and even cross-training options like yoga and full-body sculpting, our world-class coaches provide endless variety. Make the most of your trainer-led experience as your iFit coach digitally adjusts your speed using LIVE Interactive Tech to match theirs.
An incredible 18 degrees of incline breadth gives you a real-life terrain-matching experience LIVE Controlled by your elite iFit trainer, so you’re only concern is giving every workout 100%.
This treadmill was our absolute favorite. When we inclined the treadmill, it barely even made a sound. When it was done inclining, you really felt the difference in your calves. It literally felt like we were running straight up a mountain. Overall, this was our favorite machine.
- 10″ Smart HD touchscreen, iFit coach ready, Bluetooth audio capabilities.
- 3.75 CHP Durex commercial plus motor, 22″ X 60″ Commercial tread belt, -3-15% incline/decline.
- 300 lb. User capacity, SpaceSaver design with an easy-lift assist.
- Dual AutoBreeze workout fans.
2. ProForm Pro 9000
Engage in a whole new fitness experience as certified personal trainers take your exercise all around the world. ProForm® SMART equipment, like the SMART Pro 9000 treadmill, comes fully equipped with a 1-year membership to iFit® Coach, giving you full access to an expansive collection of worldwide workouts and an ever-growing library of limit-pushing studio workout classes that will get you moving and sweating on and off your machine.
Make your training easier and more efficient by having your personal coach right in front of you as you work out. The built-in 10” Smart HD Touchscreen makes it easy to see beautiful sights as you follow trainers around the world. It’s also simple to watch your workout stats add up with just the swipe of your finger.
- 4.25 CHP Mach Z commercial plus Motor, iFit enabled, 10-inch Full-color touchscreen, 38 workout apps, iPod compatible audio.
- 15% incline, -3% decline, 22″ x 60″ tread belt, 0-12 MPH Quick Speed control, EKG heart rate monitor with a wireless chest strap.
- Material: steel. Dual Coola ire workout fans, 300 lb. Weight capacity, Pro-Shox cushioning.
- 2.5-inch balanced rollers, integrated tablet holder, integrated cross-fit Tray, Space Saver design with easy lift assist.
- Lifetime frame & Motor Warranty, 5-year parts Warranty, and 2-year labor Warranty.
3. Bowflex BXT116
We’ve all seen the Bowflex commercials. These machines are absolutely superior and built extremely well. This is why we chose the Bowflex BXT116 to be one of our best treadmills for home use.
Walk, jog or run your way to incredible results with the Bowflex Results Series BXT116. Built to withstand the toughest workouts while delivering the connectivity, technology, and motivation you need.
The innovative Burn Rate console not only displays the total calories burned but incorporates a dynamic display that shows you the total calories you’re burning every minute – pushing you to go further, faster and achieve better results in less time.
- Walk, jog or run your way to incredible results with the Bowflex Results Series BXT116.
- Bluetooth connectivity: set, track and monitor your progress throughout your fitness journey with the free Bowflex Results Series app.
- Sync with the free downloadable RunSocial App and run through 19 locations with 27 routes alongside friends in real-time.
- Motorized incline up to 15% to vary workout intensity. Belt – Durable 3-ply 2.5mm.
- 7.5″ full color, back-lit LCD screen with 9 simplified “Push and Go” intuitive workout programs.
- “Burn” meter lets you gauge/adjust workouts to your personal comfort level.
4. NordicTrack C 1650
Go online while you work out. The C1650 Treadmill features a stable bracket that secures your tablet at eye level above the console to deliver your favorite Entertainment while you train.
Plus, a 10-inch touchscreen display offers your favorite websites, workout stats, and Google maps workouts from if it technology to take your training on the road. Choose from calorie, heart rate Control, incline, and speed workout programs.
- 10-inch web-enabled touchscreen. Stay in Control of your workout with an impressive 10-inch web-enabled touchscreen. Quickly view your speed, time, distance, calories burned, heart rate, incline, and decline on the large, easy-to-read display.
- 3.5 CHP drive System. Train safer, longer and quieter. Built with a bigger motor case for less vibration and dual cooling fans for less heat, this 3.5 continuous horsepower motor delivers lasting power that’s smooth and consistent.
- 20 x 60-inch tread belt. This tread belt is specifically designed to reduce noise and friction for a quieter workout and longer-lasting product. It’s stretch resistant and engineered to stay centered on the deck.
- Plug your iPod into the console sound System and stay motivated with your workout playlist. Ditch your earbuds for incredible sound from dual 2-inch speakers.
- 34 workout Apps. Get professional training with 34 preloaded workouts designed by Certified personal trainers. 300 Pound. User Weight Capacity.
5. Goplus Electric Treadmill
The Goplus electric treadmill features a high-quality steel frame and rubber tread belt, which will serve you for a long time. With 0.5 to 12.5 MPH speed levels and 18 programs available, you can select a different speed and exercise program based on your physical condition to get more excellent experience of running.
LED touching screen and big running belt give you the best workout experience. This treadmill has a slim design that can fit nicely into most exercise spaces with ease. After use, it folds up for your convenience, making storage simple.
- Heavy-duty Construction: Frame is made of high-quality steel, rubber damping design to greatly disperse the shock from running board and effectively protect your ankle and knee joint that gives you an excellent experience of running.
- 7″ LED display & 56″ X 20″ Rubber Running Belt: 7″ LED display screen and 56″ X 20″ big running belt give you the best workout experience.
- Adjustable Incline & Foldable Design: 0 – 15% incline change design help you burn more calories, tone more muscle, and build greater endurance. An easy folding mechanism and a soft drop system help you fold and unfold your treadmill safely and with ease.
- Programs: There are also 18 programs available for you to choose, these easy-to-use exercise programs help to improve your cardiovascular fitness, boost your health, and burn fat. These programs helped us decide that this unit was one of our best treadmills for home use.
Treadmill Workout Tips
Below are a few tips that will help you with your workouts, no matter which treadmill you end up purchasing.
- When you’re nearing the end of your workout, never hit the “STOP” button right away. This is never good for your body during a cardio workout. Instead, slow down at a slower pace for about five minutes before shutting it down. This will reduce leg cramping.
- When starting your workout, start out slow. Don’t just jump straight to a fast run to where you’re almost sprinting. Start slow and gradually increase the speed as you go. You want to get your muscles warmed up first.
- Don’t start your workout at an incline either. Instead, gradually start to incline your treadmill only after your muscles have been warmed up and you are jogging at a decent pace.
We hope we were able to help you make a decision in your treadmill buying process by sharing our experience with some of the best treadmills for home use. We spent a decent amount of time on this review. Between finding stores to allow us to test their machines, writing notes, research, and writing our article. We hope that we could be of some help to you and we wish you the best of luck in your fitness journey!
Whether you’re looking to get a treadmill so you can run when it’s nasty outside or trying to lose weight, we did the research and tested all of these 5 best treadmills for home, you so that you wouldn’t have to. We hope our list was able to help you make a decision.
If you have any further questions about any of these treadmills, feel free to leave us a comment below. Or, if you prefer messaging us directly, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email in a timely manner.