Last updated on January 4th, 2020
Did you recently have a new baby? Are you in need of a baby monitor? We can definitely help you there. Whether you’re a first-time parent or you’re about to have your third or fourth child, a modern-day baby monitor will give you peace of mind. That’s why today, we’re going to show you our top 5 best video baby monitors.
We spent a good amount of time researching and talking to experts on this review. We chose our top 5 based on many different factors including ease of use, picture quality, and overall features (the first two are really cool). Rest assured, with these baby monitors, you’ll be able to check on your baby at any given time with phenomenal picture quality.
Shopping for a baby monitor can be difficult. With so many video baby monitors on the market, it can be quite daunting trying to decide on the perfect one to buy. Some have WiFi, some have room temperature controls, and some have night vision so you can easily keep an eye on your baby during the late hours of the night.
We hope by the end of this review, you’ll have a better idea of what you might be looking for and what you want to get.
What Is A Baby Monitor?
In today’s modern world there are two popular types of baby monitors. There are audio monitors and there are video monitors. The baby monitors we tested and reviewed for this review are all video monitors.
Modern-day baby monitors use a video camera to show images on a receiver by plugging the receiver into your television or some kind of portable LCD screen. It’s pretty much a simple surveillance system for children that a lot of people call a “baby cam”.
Some of these baby cams can work at night with low light levels as well. Most of the newer video monitors are also equipped with full-on night vision. Infrared LED’s are attached to the front of the camera which allows the user to see their baby in a dark room with no problem at all.
In addition, the baby monitors with night vision will switch to night vision automatically. This means you won’t have to do it yourself as soon as the sun drops.
Another great aspect is the fact that most baby monitors now work over a WiFi network so that parents can watch their babies through their smartphone, tablet, or their laptop.
Baby monitors continue to evolve and get better year after year. It seems as if more features are being added on a yearly basis and it’s great because it means these companies really care about the safety and protection of your child.
Why Should You Have A Baby Monitor?
This is kind of a personal question but it’s one that needs to be asked if you don’t already have a baby monitor. So why should you have a baby monitor? We can think of a few reasons why it would be beneficial for you to have one. We’ll list them below.
Security is one of the biggest reasons why you should have a baby monitor. It’s important to be able to keep an eye on your infant at all times. A baby monitor helps to ensure that your child is always safe while you’re in another room.
Convenience is another reason why baby monitors are extremely useful. Baby monitors allow the freedom to be able to leave your baby in the nursery while you are in another room getting work done or doing other things.
What Kind Of Features Do Baby Monitors Have?
In today’s modern world, baby monitors are jam-packed with all kinds of features and the list of features gets longer and longer every year. This is a good thing though because extra features allow for extra security and convenience.
Below is a list of common features you will see in baby monitors these days.
- WiFi – Most baby monitors are now WiFi enabled which is great because now you can easily keep an eye on your infant from multiple mobile devices such as your smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
- Night Vision – This feature gives you a set of eyes in the dark. You will be able to see your baby in a dark room, clear as day.
- Interchangeable Lenses – The ability to change lenses is nice because sometimes you want to be able to change the optical zoom and the overall viewing angle of the room.
- 4K Display – The picture quality on your baby monitor will be crisp, clean, and very easy to see.
- Battery Life – Nowadays, the batteries that power your baby monitor can last 10-12 hours which is a big step up from previous models in past years.
- Two Way Audio – Now you can speak to your child from a different room with two-way audio. Your voice will be heard through the speakers on the camera in the baby’s room.
- Pre-Recorded Lullaby’s – You can now pre-record your infant’s favorite lullaby’s.
Overall these baby monitors have all kinds of great features to keep a good eye on your child while you have the freedom to do other things that need to get done. In our list, we’ll go through all the various features that each baby monitor comes with as well.
Top 5 Best Video Baby Monitors
Below is our list of the top 5 best video baby monitors that we got to test and review for ourselves. This first one was our favorite because it clearly had the best video quality out of any other baby monitor on our list. We felt that good picture quality was important because you want to be able to see every detail of your child, especially as a newborn.
Picture quality wasn’t the only thing we looked at though. We also wanted to make sure that the video baby monitors we chose were easy to use as well. With these baby monitors, you’ll have peace of mind knowing what your baby is up to at all times.
1. Nanit Plus Video Baby Monitor (Most Popular)
This monitor is one of the best video baby monitors on the market right now. Due to its ease-of-use and smartphone compatibility, the Nanit baby monitor ranks in at our number 1 spot.
It’s true, nobody can fully prepare you for the journey into parenthood. But when it comes to your baby’s sleep, Nanit is all the help you need. You’ll have your baby’s sleep data at your fingertips when you wake up each morning. And with science-backed sleep advice, it’s like having a personal sleep coach in the palm of your hand.
This device is both a baby monitor and a sleep guru. The best thing to happen to baby monitors since the baby monitor was first created. It’s got everything new that parents need to keep an eye on their newborn.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa.
- Stay connected to your baby with two-way audio, background audio, and remote viewing from anywhere.
- Get your baby more sleep with sleep tracking and personalized sleep guidance, and see how they improve over time.
- See and hear your baby 24/7 with HD live streaming, unparalleled night vision, and zoom to get in close. Plus, Nanit works over WiFi, even when the internet is down.
- Nanit tracks sound and motion to keep you abreast of changes in the nursery.
- Temperature and humidity sensors monitor the environment, ensuring your baby is comfortable.
- Requires an iPhone, or Android device.
- Includes one year of Nanit Insights.
- Features sleep tracking, and personalized sleep guidance.
2. Miku Smart Video Baby Monitor
The Miku Smart video baby monitor was actually one of our all-time favorites. Why you might ask? Because it has the ability to use your smartphone to monitor your baby. This way you won’t have to carry around a separate bulky unit wherever you go around your house.
Experience real-time breathing and sleep tracking with the inclusive video app. Miku’s proprietary sensors require no wires or wearables and work with your smartphone to alert you of changes to your baby’s vitals and nursery conditions. The app is available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Some of the features available on the app are sleep tracking, 2-way talking, room-temperature monitoring, HD video, photo capture, and movement and sound detection. The best part – the app doesn’t require a subscription!
- Miku Smart Baby Monitor is contact-free, so you can monitor real-time breathing without disturbing your baby’s sleep.
- Real-time data is available in the Miku app – breathing, temperature, humidity, sound, and motion are all tracked.
- Miku’s night vision paired with premium optics and HD storage means you’ll never miss the chance to capture an important moment – share and download unlimited HD videos and photos from your smartphone.
- Software versions that upgrade automatically, Miku will always be ahead of the curve.
- Miku houses a high-security Crypto Chip so data remains secure, a feature unique to Miku.
3. Infant Optics DXR Video Baby Monitor
This device is plug and play, meaning it doesn’t require any kind of special setup or configuration.
An independent sound-activated LED bar lets you see when your baby is crying. Unlike internet cameras, the DXR-8 offers zero load time delay-free playback on a dedicated monitor screen without hogging your smartphone.100% digital privacy, safe from hackers.
- First-ever monitor with interchangeable optical lens capability to customize your viewing angle and zoom.
- Large 3.5” full-color LCD display in a sleek, compact unit with retractable antenna, with sound-activated, LED display.
- Remote pan, tilt and digital zoom functionality.
- The battery lasts for 10 hours on power-saving mode and up to 6 hours with the screen on.
- Comes with a 1x aluminum optical zoom lens for seeing closer with refined clarity.
4. Anmeate Video Baby Monitor
The Anmeate video baby monitor features high-quality baby monitoring technology to provide parents with peace of mind. The portable parent unit can move around with you, enabling you to hear, see or talk to your baby no matter where you are in the house.
Comfort your baby with the sound of your own voice by using the two-way talkback system. It has a long range of up to 960 feet (open space) with an out-of-range warning.
Rest assured knowing you’ll see your baby day and night. The infrared night vision will automatically detect dim light, providing clear video even in dark rooms, so you will always know what your baby is doing.
This monitor allows you to watch your baby more closely. The monitor features digital zoom allowing you to get a closer view of the image on the screen. With the touch of a button, you can zoom in to watch your baby sleeping or catch a precious moment as they are waking up. This feature alone makes it one of the best video baby monitors on the market!
- This unique baby monitor features a high-resolution display with 2x zoom magnification for comprehensive coverage. The 2.4” screen can deliver a streaming live view whenever you check-in.
- This digital camera has 8 infrared LED lights and can constantly monitor your little ones’ activities. Other built-in features include automatic night vision and temperature monitoring.
- The monitor covers a transmission range of up to 960 feet.
- Ability to play 4 soothing lullaby songs or use the two-way talkback intercom function to comfort your baby.
5. Hello-Baby Video Baby Monitor
The HelloBaby video monitor was pretty cool. You can check on your little one from any angle with its wide degree positioning. In addition, the HelloBaby monitor is small and easy enough for any parent to use. This is one of the best video baby monitors on the market!
The monitor features a 3.2″ screen and a digital camera to provide a crystal clear image. The camera automatically detects low light and enables night vision so you’ll be able to see your baby even after bedtime.
Two-way communication lets you soothe your child without entering the room, while the room temperature display helps you ensure that your baby is comfortable. A sound level LED indicator allows you to see how much noise your baby is making in case he/she is crying.
- It has a remote control camera that rotates 355° horizontally and 120° vertically. This way you always have a clear view of your baby from any angle.
- The crystal clear two-way audio feature allows conversation on both ends as clear as if you were in the same room with your little one.
- Setup is very simple, just plug and play!
- The parent unit is powered by a rechargeable battery that gives you full mobility in the house.
- Has a room temperature monitor with alerts, night vision, lullaby, sound level LED indicator, and audio-only mode.
- One monitor can pair up to 4 Cameras.
Overall these are some great baby monitors. If we had to pick two of them to be our ultimate favorites, we would choose #1 and #2. Both performed very well when it came to video quality and overall performance.
If you have any questions about these baby monitors, feel free to leave a comment below. Or, if you would rather get in touch with us directly, feel free to use our contact form on our contact page and we will respond to your email in a timely manner.
Which baby video monitor caught your eye the most? What do you look for in a baby monitor?